Dont think my tort is basking enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

testtudude

5 Year Member
I have two female Russians and one basks Most of the day while the other only basks for a few minutes everyday. Bullying is not the problem, what could it be? I am afraid she isn't getting enough light. I have a ZooMed 100w spot (95deg F) and (70deg F) on the opposite end. Thinking about getting 18" ZooMed fluorescent for the other end and taking away the hides so she has nochoice but to b in the loght is this a good idea?
has to stay in the light

testtudude said:
I have two female Russians and one basks Most of the day while the other only basks for a few minutes everyday. Bullying is not the problem, what could it be? I am afraid she isn't getting enough light. I have a ZooMed 100w spot (95deg F) and (70deg F) on the opposite end. Thinking about getting 18" ZooMed fluorescent for the other end and taking away the hides so she has nochoice but to b in the loght is this a good idea?
has to stay in the light

* so has no choice but to bask. Is this a good idea??

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Forcing a tortoise to remain in bright lighting is not a good idea. They need to be able to move from light to dark, warm to cooler as they need to. They associate darker areas with cooler temperatures. Having the ability to cool down is as important as the ability to warm up. It's the only way that they can regulate their body temperature. Hiding areas are also their security blanket. It is perfectly natural for them to hide. It is very unnatural for them to spend all day out under bright light. Tortoises have individual preferences as far as basking, eating, drinking and so on. As long as she is eating and drinking (which Russians typically do little of), I would not be too concerned about her basking time. You'll probably find that it will change over time as she needs it too.

testtudude

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
Forcing a tortoise to remain in bright lighting is not a good idea. They need to be able to move from light to dark, warm to cooler as they need to. They associate darker areas with cooler temperatures. Having the ability to cool down is as important as the ability to warm up. It's the only way that they can regulate their body temperature. Hiding areas are also their security blanket. It is perfectly natural for them to hide. It is very unnatural for them to spend all day out under bright light. Tortoises have individual preferences as far as basking, eating, drinking and so on. As long as she is eating and drinking (which Russians typically do little of), I would not be too concerned about her basking time. You'll probably find that it will change over time as she needs it too.

Thanks for the response. I guess I am just a concerned new tort owner (2 months). She dose have everything she needs and knows where it is. I'm sure she knows what she needs better than me. Lol So scratch the second light idea? One 100w spot good enough? Her sister seems to enjoy the set up!

Status
Not open for further replies.