Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Those are nice, but in my opinion, are really too small for tortoises. It would make a good baby habitat, but once the tortoise gets to be two years or so, it would be too small. So, in my opinion, way too small for a 6" tortoise.

ShervyBaby

5 Year Member
Maryland/DC
emysemys said:
Those are nice, but in my opinion, are really too small for tortoises. It would make a good baby habitat, but once the tortoise gets to be two years or so, it would be too small. So, in my opinion, way too small for a 6" tortoise.

Thanks for the reply! So what if I bought two of those? Because they can be screwed together. OR would I be better off just buying the plywood and making it myself?(what would cost me less? The Zoo-Med House is $100 each)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think you'd do better to build you own.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
ShervyBaby said:
Thanks for the reply! So what if I bought two of those? Because they can be screwed together. OR would I be better off just buying the plywood and making it myself?(what would cost me less? The Zoo-Med House is $100 each)

I got mine on amazon for $85. Yes you can attach them- they are good- but I wouldn't use this as a permanent home. I use mine as a temporary home when needed.

Check out some of the designs of some of the recent postings by people on this forum. Amazing and cool ideas! You will learn that a long table-like structure with a slide out bottom (and liner) is easier to clean, etc. Keeping these guys happy and clean is key-- and you are free to design something unique and creative!

Banshee

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
I'm using the Zoo Med house. It's way too small for my Hermann's, who isn't even fully grown yet. I will be using it as a night time house after I build a larger, outdoor enclosure.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
You can do much better if you can build one, go to a local hardware store and get some wood and wire and build an enclosure.
You can plant lots of edible items,grasses, plants etc. Adding shade is a must :)

ShervyBaby

5 Year Member
Maryland/DC
Jacob said:
You can do much better if you can build one, go to a local hardware store and get some wood and wire and build an enclosure.
You can plant lots of edible items,grasses, plants etc. Adding shade is a must :)

Ok so this is going to be a dumb question but...

Can I buy the appropriate sized plywood at Home Depot or will I have to cut the wood myself? I'm asking because I don't have a saw or a wood cutting machine.

Also- What would be a good size for a Greek Tortoise? I don't want anything that large because I will be keeping it indoors when it is not Summertime.

And lastly- Would this cost me less than buying two Tortoise Houses and using both of those as its permanent home? Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.