Zoo Med Tortoise House Humidity

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
If they need that much humidity then a wooden enclosure really wouldn't work well without a lot of modifications. so I stock tank may be the way to go. Or maybe some kind of swimming pool thing. Either way it will probably have to be a close chamber and very well planted.

Marci_redfoot

Kansas City
71wUiYu5PtL._SL1500_.jpg

Maybe this is a bit of a stretch, but do you think that a plastic lined chicken coop might work? I've seen a few picture online of people keeping their larger tortoises in coops. It looks like there might be a few places to build some warm, humid, hides. There should also be plenty of room to mount lights and a ceramic heater. As well, it would be multi-level, which would satisfy her urge to climb (though I would need to modify the ramp with high rail for safety.)
I was brainstorming about the substrate and I believe that I could build a plastic lined wooden base with a 5-6 inch high lip that would overlap the sides of the coop by a few inches. I could fill the base with my soil and mulch and just place the coop on top, which would make for relatively easy cleaning. As well, The top opens up in the upper area with a removable tray to allow for easy cleaning. This seems like it might work much better than anything I could build myself.There's even enough vertical space for me to plant vegetation inside.
I attached my potential layout. (Sorry for my terrible MS Paint skills!)71Jx9a58-1L._SL1500_.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
71wUiYu5PtL._SL1500_.jpg

Maybe this is a bit of a stretch, but do you think that a plastic lined chicken coop might work? I've seen a few picture online of people keeping their larger tortoises in coops. It looks like there might be a few places to build some warm, humid, hides. There should also be plenty of room to mount lights and a ceramic heater. As well, it would be multi-level, which would satisfy her urge to climb (though I would need to modify the ramp with high rail for safety.)
I was brainstorming about the substrate and I believe that I could build a plastic lined wooden base with a 5-6 inch high lip that would overlap the sides of the coop by a few inches. I could fill the base with my soil and mulch and just place the coop on top, which would make for relatively easy cleaning. As well, The top opens up in the upper area with a removable tray to allow for easy cleaning. This seems like it might work much better than anything I could build myself.There's even enough vertical space for me to plant vegetation inside.
I attached my potential layout. (Sorry for my terrible MS Paint skills!)View attachment 101100
With a lot of modifications that could work. I think I would be scared my tortoise would try to climb up the sides, that would be very easy for them to do. I would be scared they would fall from higher up and possibly get hurt or get flipped and not be able to flip back over.I guess I wasn't paying much attention, are you looking for an indoor or outdoor enclosure or both?I

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Another suggestion, look on Amazon under "raised bed Garden resin" there are some 4 x 8 kids there that may work or may be easily modified.I can't find the thread on this forum about the person who made one like that for their tortoise I will keep looking.

Marci_redfoot

Kansas City
I saw a great kit on Amazon for a raised resin garden bed with two greenhouses that sit atop the enclosure, however the sides are very low and will allow just enough depth for the substrate. Marci is a little tank and will just plow over anything that is lower than 14 inches. I might be able to modify it a little easier than the coop setup, though. I'd like an indoor enclosure. I can set her current kiddie pool enclosure outdoors in the summer months.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Maybe line the inside of it with a one by 12 board all around the edges. That way you can make the substrate deeper and he can't climb out maybe, maybe :)you could put a little lip around the top of the board also just as if it wasn't covered.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I'm sure the one you found is the same one another one here on the forum has used. It works pretty slick I think.

Marci_redfoot

Kansas City
I just took the plunge and ordered the raised garden bed with greenhouses from Home Depot. It's 25% off until Nov. 5th, so actually a little cheaper than my other options and requires fewer modifications. I'll post pictures of my setup, once I get it put together and decorated.
Thank you guys for your help! It really was invaluable to me, as a new tort mommy. I LOVE Tortoise Forum. I've learned so much from reading the discussion boards and reviewing resources provided by members. :<3: