1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Zoo Med Tortoise Food

Discussion in 'Tortoise Diet and Food' started by JennJenn728, Jan 7, 2019.

1. JennJenn728

JennJenn728 New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Buffalo
    We have had our Russian Tortoise for about 2 months now. She seems as happy as can be. Our only issue is that she will only eat greens (and some other veggies when we give them to her occasionally). The guy we bought her from recommended Zoo Med Tortoise food. I've gotten it wet, I've mixed it with food, I've tried it less squishy but she will not eat it. How important is this? Is there something different you recommend I try.

Live in upstate NY so most of her food right now consists of spring mix, romaine, Collard Greens, Dandelion/mustard greens, Kale....
  2. JoesMum

JoesMum Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Kent, South East England
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    There’s nothing wrong with a variety of greens as a diet.

Pellets are not mandatory! They must be softened in water before offering. Mazuri (not the LS variety) seems to be like tortoise crack - completely addictive- so you could try that.

I recommend that people write a list of the plants and weeds that grow around them and those greens they can buy and look them up on The Tortoise Table Plant Database to widen the variety fed. It is a fabulous online search facility
    https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/
  3. Madkins007

Madkins007 Well-Known Member Moderator 10 Year Member!

Nebraska
    Yeah, a wide variety of greens is usually best. Zoo Med and Mazuri are solid options if you want. I liked using Mazuri to provide supplemental nutrients and stretching my food dollar (it was pretty cheap in the 30# bag and I froze lots if it in baggies.)

You do NOT need to use them, though.