Zoo Med Natural Grassland Tortoise Food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I have used it...nothing special in my experience. It's composed of a lot of different types of grass and hay. I would rather feed mine fresh grass I grow in my backyard. Nice quote in your signature by the way.

melbeebe1980

5 Year Member
Michigan
I bought it, but my tort refuses to eat it. Zuri would much rather eat fresh grass, spring mix, weeds, and flowers.

SpazzyArtist

5 Year Member
Somewhere over the rainbow.
Neal Butler said:
I have used it...nothing special in my experience. It's composed of a lot of different types of grass and hay. I would rather feed mine fresh grass I grow in my backyard. Nice quote in your signature by the way.

That's what a lot of people seem to say. :) Thanks!

melbeebe1980 said:
I bought it, but my tort refuses to eat it. Zuri would much rather eat fresh grass, spring mix, weeds, and flowers.

Alright, thank you! Just checking before I spend my money on things it won't eat.

spikethebest said:
My tortoises and I prefer Mazuri tortoise food. You can find some the link of the signature.

Oh, cool! I was looking for that! Thanks. :D

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Grassland is better for them...if you go strictly by the label. It contains EVERYTHING a tort should be eating naturally plus it includes a well-balanced supply of supplements, whereas Mazuri contains NOTHING a tort would find in the wild...although it sure does seem to accelerate growth. I, myself, feed Grassland every other day...and mix in Mazuri every fourth or fifth day.

SpazzyArtist

5 Year Member
DeanS said:
Grassland is better for them...if you go strictly by the label. It contains EVERYTHING a tort should be eating naturally plus it includes a well-balanced supply of supplements, whereas Mazuri contains NOTHING a tort would find in the wild...although it sure does seem to accelerate growth. I, myself, feed Grassland every other day...and mix in Mazuri every fourth or fifth day.

Thanks, that was helpful. :D
I'll have to think about it.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
I REALLY like the Grassland tortoise food by zoomed. VERY practical. I use the Forest version myself for my redfoot. A lot of people here say their torts don't like it because they don't train their torts to eat it. My RF now gobbles it down like crazy after refusing it for a few days.

I read the ingredients and it contains great stuff and all the veggies your tort needs like what deans said.

Also note they have beneficial bacteria in the food (a probiotic), which I think is a great addition.

BTW, zoomed back the products ("100% money back guarantee") so it's worth a try!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nothing wrong with it as part of a varied diet. Its easier to get them starting to eat it if you soak it and mix it in with their greens.

They would also do just fine without it.

SpazzyArtist

5 Year Member
HarleyK said:
I REALLY like the Grassland tortoise food by zoomed. VERY practical. I use the Forest version myself for my redfoot. A lot of people here say their torts don't like it because they don't train their torts to eat it. My RF now gobbles it down like crazy after refusing it for a few days.

I read the ingredients and it contains great stuff and all the veggies your tort needs like what deans said.

Also note they have beneficial bacteria in the food (a probiotic), which I think is a great addition.

BTW, zoomed back the products ("100% money back guarantee") so it's worth a try!

It seems I'm getting plenty of great opinions! :)

Thanks!

Tom said:
Nothing wrong with it as part of a varied diet. Its easier to get them starting to eat it if you soak it and mix it in with their greens.

They would also do just fine without it.

Hurm, thank you. :D

SweetPete7

5 Year Member
South Dakota
I bought it, along with about 4 other types of "supplementive diets" (Mazuri, etc.)- and once again Sonne (leopard tort hatchling) threw up his "DENIED" sign. . . . .grrr. He'd have never survived as a successful pot smoker, as he does not seem to like any type of grasses. . . *snickers*.
So far, the only thing he really goes nuts over is zuchini, which he isn't allowed much of at all. So we stick to the spring mix, cactus pads, occassional squash and zuchini, and just supplement with powders.

SpazzyArtist

5 Year Member
SweetPete7 said:
I bought it, along with about 4 other types of "supplementive diets" (Mazuri, etc.)- and once again Sonne (leopard tort hatchling) threw up his "DENIED" sign. . . . .grrr. He'd have never survived as a successful pot smoker, as he does not seem to like any type of grasses. . . *snickers*.
So far, the only thing he really goes nuts over is zuchini, which he isn't allowed much of at all. So we stick to the spring mix, cactus pads, occassional squash and zuchini, and just supplement with powders.

Ok, thanks. :) I'm getting so many useful replies! :D

Traveller

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
I use the Grassland for our Leopards and they love it. I don't feed it every day just alternate it with weeds, hay, Mazuri, springmix etc.

I also use the Forest brand for our redfoots and they really enjoy it also.
Both diets just give me more of a variety to feed, and on those days when everyday life gets in the way of my tortoise husbandry these products fit the bill.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
DeanS said:
Grassland is better for them...if you go strictly by the label. It contains EVERYTHING a tort should be eating naturally plus it includes a well-balanced supply of supplements, whereas Mazuri contains NOTHING a tort would find in the wild...although it sure does seem to accelerate growth.

Why are so many people seemingly obsessed with Mazuri? Why not just feed a natural diet?
I only feed my tortoise "real" greens/weeds/lettuce but if I were to choose between Grassland and Mazuri I suppose I would choose Grassland for the reasons you mentioned...

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
For those of you that want your torts to eat Grassland (or Mazuri, for that matter)...moisten it then mix it with your Spring Mix (Santa Barbara Mix is WAY better) and that should get them interested...

ChiKat said:
DeanS said:
Grassland is better for them...if you go strictly by the label. It contains EVERYTHING a tort should be eating naturally plus it includes a well-balanced supply of supplements, whereas Mazuri contains NOTHING a tort would find in the wild...although it sure does seem to accelerate growth.

Why are so many people seemingly obsessed with Mazuri? Why not just feed a natural diet?
I only feed my tortoise "real" greens/weeds/lettuce but if I were to choose between Grassland and Mazuri I suppose I would choose Grassland for the reasons you mentioned...

Again...the ONLY good thing about Mazuri is that it seems to accelerate growth...but this too should be done in moderation...I've seen 6 month old sucatas that are 10 inches long...but have terrible pyramiding...so it's really about getting the right combination (and frequency) of diet, heat, humidity...and SUNLIGHT!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I used to think Mazuri was good because everyone raved about it and my tort loves it, but when I thought more about it and actually studied the ingredients list, I was really disappointed to see molasses and D3 and junk. Not a fan of supplements and sweeteners, plus it has the corn and such. Grassland is more natural, but of course fresh is best. I like to use a limited amount of both for a treat and so my tort is accustomed to it in case of an emergency. My husband feeds the little guy 1 Mazuri pellet a week (4 inch 2 year old Russian), so its a really small amount. Every few weeks I'll do half a meal of Grassland for him. The Mazuri is preferred several times over the Grassland. I think its more that the Grassland just falls apart when moistened so my tort can't pick it up, plus its not as tasty because its more natural. I try to only moisten it a small bit, enough so that my tort can safely get a piece down. I don't like accelerated growth. If you must feed a commercial food, I'd pick Grassland over the Mazuri, but think both should be very limited and you should be an aware consumer and tort parent (not just go with everyone else feeds it so it must be good mentality).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've been hearing "accelerated growth" in conjunction with Mazuri for quite a while now. Is there any data that this occurs, or are we just parroting what we've heard and read? I've seen Ed's pictures and his Aldabrans (that get fed Mazuri at every feeding) at 10 years of age are the same size as my 10 year old Aldabrans. I don't really believe that Mazuri accelerates their growth.

I'm completely happy with Mazuri. I haven't tried the Grassland because it costs too much for the amount of animals I have. Mazuri is a great food for those days when I've run out of the good stuff and the fridge is empty. I can buy a 20lb bag for only $23 and it lasts about a month.

SpazzyArtist

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
I've been hearing "accelerated growth" in conjunction with Mazuri for quite a while now. Is there any data that this occurs, or are we just parroting what we've heard and read? I've seen Ed's pictures and his Aldabrans (that get fed Mazuri at every feeding) at 10 years of age are the same size as my 10 year old Aldabrans. I don't really believe that Mazuri accelerates their growth.

I'm completely happy with Mazuri. I haven't tried the Grassland because it costs too much for the amount of animals I have. Mazuri is a great food for those days when I've run out of the good stuff and the fridge is empty. I can buy a 20lb bag for only $23 and it lasts about a month.

Great! So many replies, i can barely keep up with them all... they're really informational so thank you!

HarleyK

5 Year Member
I found these posts.....such a great post from the past.

http://tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Mazuri-part-1

http://tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Mazuri-part-2

emysemys said:

Status
Not open for further replies.