Zoomed Natural Grassland Tortoise Food

Status
Not open for further replies.

khanvict

5 Year Member
I went to petsmart today and picked up this tortoise food for one of my russians because he has not really eaten any spring mix or carrots i have tried to previously offer. He would only eat grass/weeds outside but i don't know what he's really eating out there so i'm giving this a shot.

here's a link to the product description:
http://www.petco.com/product/109036/Zoo-Med-Natural-Grassland-Tortoise-Food.aspx
says it's good for russians, sulcatas, leopards, pancake, greek, hermann's, desert tortoises, etc.

just wanted to know if anyone has used this before and also maybe what's the best way to introduce the new meal to him? should i do it when he's soaking? the directions say to moisten it up with water anyway. should i offer it to him separately or mix it in with the spring mix (which, again, he does not bother with).

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Ummmm your " natural foods " are the best! ... That grassland stuff honest isnt all that good! .. Your paying for the colored lable and the plastic bottle. Mazuri is better for that " type" of food. Most torts will not " starve" themselves to death. They will eat when needed.I would stick to the weeds ect..and just exclude any plants your not familar with. Try rose , or hibiscus, even grape leaves are wonderful.
JD~:)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Not true at all! Mazuri is a higher source of protein, but contains NOTHING that your tort would eat in the wild. Zoo Med , on the other hand, contains everything your tort would eat and has the perfect combination of needed vitamins and minerals. Most torts will gobble down the Mazuri (and they will grow much faster), but in actuality, Zoo Med is better for them...READ THE LABELS and decide for yourself. I combine the two as I mentioned in the thread I started yesterday...
http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-17440.html

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The grassland stuff is fine as a small part of a varied diet, but JD is right. The real stuff is better. If you put it into the water, it will disintegrate. Just wet it in a little tray and after a couple of minutes it will be mushy. Then mix it in with his regular greens. He probably won't like it if he's not eating the greens either. But keep trying it anyway. He'll get used to at after a while.

I worry about his lack of appetite. Is he a wild caught. Most russians are. Wild caughts usually come in with a host of parasites. Have you had him vet checked and done a stool sample? You really ought to.

Are your indoor temps all good? I'm pretty sure you know what to aim for. Ask if not.

Is he just getting enough to eat outside? This would be ideal anyway.

You said "one" of your russians. Is he part of a group? Very possible there is some subtle bullying going on. This could cause appetite suppression and weakening of the immune system. I'm guessing outdoors is a much larger area and he can get away from the others. When he feels more comfortable, he eats more. Then, when you stick them back in the indoor enclosure and they are right in each others faces, boom, appetite killing stress comes back. I'm just guessing here, but it sounds reasonable given what you've told us.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I'm only offering the Zoo Med / Mazuri combo as a supplemental option...

Tom is right! There is no substitute for anything grown from the ground!

khanvict

5 Year Member
i tried to let him soak in the bucket with only the zoomed but he didnt go near it. i tried to bring it closer to him and he became apprehensive and nervous. he will turn his head or motion with his claw that he does not want anything i offer when i bring it upto him. kind of like a child's behavior. i don't know how to necessarily force-feed him.

for right now, he is back in one of the hides and i left a dish with 10 little pellets so i can count if he has eaten any of them.

the zoomed i am only meaning to use to hopefully stimulate his appetite. i don't plan to make this a permanent or complete part of his diet.

i originally got him from a petsmart in june and most people say they are wildcaught.

i live in an apartment and so i was advised to ask about pesticides or chemicals being used on the lawns outside. until i find out i am going to keep him inside and hope he starts eating.

there is only one other tortoise which i just got a few days ago but his behavior precedes the introduction of the new tortoise.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
khanvict said:
i tried to let him soak in the bucket with only the zoomed but he didnt go near it. i tried to bring it closer to him and he became apprehensive and nervous. he will turn his head or motion with his claw that he does not want anything i offer when i bring it upto him. kind of like a child's behavior. i don't know how to necessarily force-feed him.

for right now, he is back in one of the hides and i left a dish with 10 little pellets so i can count if he has eaten any of them.

the zoomed i am only meaning to use to hopefully stimulate his appetite. i don't plan to make this a permanent or complete part of his diet.

i originally got him from a petsmart in june and most people say they are wildcaught.

i live in an apartment and so i was advised to ask about pesticides or chemicals being used on the lawns outside. until i find out i am going to keep him inside and hope he starts eating.

there is only one other tortoise which i just got a few days ago but his behavior precedes the introduction of the new tortoise.

Khan, go to WallyWorld and get a container of the Organic Spring Mix (make sure NOT to get the one w/ baby spinach, though...read the label)...offer him a little (maybe a 1/4 cup) every day, and leave it for maybe 1/2 an hour...if he refuses it, put it in a baggie and try again the next day.

Eventually, he will eat, and it won't take very long, either. As soon as he eats all that, offer him some more, the next day.

Does your other tort eat? If so, Tort #1 will see him/her and eventually come investigate.

As for "safe weeds" in the city, your best bet is to grow your own...several places sell tortoise-safe weed seeds, but this is my preference: http://www.turtlecafe.com/. After you get a crop growing, trim some and mix in w/ your spring mix.

And the advice to take both torts to the vet is worth listening to...petshop WC torts are pretty much always full of "critters"!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
The best greens to pick up prepared is Ready Pac's SANTA BARBARA...it contains endive, escarole and radicchio ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.