Status
Not open for further replies.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
FLORIDA
Has anyone seen or used this before?

http://www.petco.com/product/109036...sland-Tortoise-Food.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

What do you think of it? I want to provide some sort of hay to Bowser while she is inside and thought that this would be great. It looks like it would be easy to use. Much easier than buying regular hay, she would just spread the hay around while walking on it and I don't want her to eat her substrate. Do you think this stuff is healthy?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I have used it in the past but that was maybe 3 years ago, I believe a lot of owner on the forum still use it... Using it as part of a varied diet will be fine..

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
hay as a substrate is too slippery and it molds when wet.
If you want her to get used to eating grass hay.. wet her greens, cut up the dry hay and spinkle on top.
Some will eat it, some will not.
If you ahve room to store it and keep it dry, go to a Feed store and get a bale of Orchard Grass hay.. it usually runs $16 for the bale.. 80pounds or so...

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I've used both the Zoo Med and this: Timothy Bites, neither one was really a hit. I had to mix them with other things; mazuri, pumpkin or a little bit of fruit. I don't think it'll do any harm broadening their diet even more.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
I used to have hay as her substrate and I changed it about a month ago (very happy that I did). She was eating the hay while it was there but now that I switched it I want a way that I can still provide it for her. It would be a part of a varied diet and I don't have a place to store that much hay yet, someday I will, lol. I think if I get it I can always put a couple of pieces in her food bowl with her greens and she can eat it that way if she wants. I shall see how it goes...

Thank you for the responses!!!

pliken

5 Year Member
Mesa & Payson, Arizona
I found bagged Kaytee Orchard Grass at Petco and I think PetClub as well. Look in the small animals section. I use it in a layer over dirt; edible if he just can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.