Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
So I get a phone call from a young lady who is getting ready to go away to college (this time of year??) and has to give up her box tortoise. Trouble is, the poor turtle has some damage to its beak. She took the turtle to a vet who told her it needed more calcium. Thank goodness the pet store she bought it from gave her the correct diet for the tortoise, even though they gave her the wrong name for it. She's been feeding it different types of greens with calcium powder and a "vitamin light" (whatever that is).

Don't worry about the tortoise's eyes in the pictures. Its 7:30 in the morning and quite cold in my house. He's very cold and asleep. I'll get him fixed up with a hospital habitat after I do my morning chores. The lower beak is cracked all the way up into soft tissue on both sides. I'm going to have to see if my vet can stabilize it with dental glue or something. Plus it is in dire need of being trimmed. The tortoise's problem is no sunshine.

12-30-11rescue67.jpg

12-30-11rescue67-2.jpg

He came with a rock like what you put in water turtle's tanks, and two feeding bowls plus a 20 gallon aquarium.
12-30-11rescue67-3.jpg

But she really loved her tortoise. This is what the note she gave me said, "Than you so much for taking Boulder. I know he will be better off in your caring hands. I wish I could keep him, but I will be off to college in January and don't have the means to treat him. I hope he gets better and I will miss him. Thank you again"

It just kills me to know that there are so very many turtles and tortoises out there that people really love, but don't know a thing about caring for them. All this tortoise needed was a bigger habitat and some outside time.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Poor little guy. Thank goodness he's made his way into your home.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Yvonne, I have a lot of respect for what you're doing. If I had the time and the means someday, I hope to do something similar.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Poor little guy, he was loved the wrong way. Glad he is with you now...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
That's peculiar I have some box tortoises that look just like that one.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
dmmj said:
That's peculiar I have some box tortoises that look just like that one.

And you're more than welcome to this one, once I've gotten him squared away. Its male, though.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
poor guy. I can't imagine what some torts go through. Post us a pic when he feels better, let us know what the vet says...

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
RE: Yesterday's rescued "box" tortoise

I've never seen such an overgrown beak area. Poor thing-- nails are very long. Needs a lot of love :) thanks for taking this one in!

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Oh Yvonne, doesn't it just make you CRAZEY????(I know, I just couldn't help it!)
These resilient creatures are so abused! (As so many of us know)
Those 2 Russians I had a while back, were in such deplorable conditions,but once the right food and heat came their way they RAN to get healthy. Is this guy hungry?
Did the pet store sell it to her as a boxie?That's really bad, (again stating the obvious!)
I am sure he'll do fine, as we will all watch!
Take care and Happy New Year.
Nay

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The pet store sold it as a box tortoise, but thankfully, told her the correct diet for a Russian tortoise.

It hasn't eaten yet, but I'm pretty sure the face is painful. My vet looked at it yesterday and she going to anesthetize him one day next week and trim the beak plus stabilize it some way or another. I'm offering him softened Mazuri in the mean time, as I'm sure it would hurt to try to bite.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Aww poor guy, so glad he found you...I feel bad for the girl because she loved him but if she would have but the most minute amount of effort in this would not have happened. Especially college age kids have no excuse, she already spends 4hrs a day on facebook, how hard would it have been to google image boxies, figure out a box tortoise doesnt even exist and post a "what is this" on yahoo answers.

Never mind, I don't feel bad for the girl.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
ShadowRancher said:
Aww poor guy, so glad he found you...I feel bad for the girl because she loved him but if she would have but the most minute amount of effort in this would not have happened. Especially college age kids have no excuse, she already spends 4hrs a day on facebook, how hard would it have been to google image boxies, figure out a box tortoise doesnt even exist and post a "what is this" on yahoo answers.

Never mind, I don't feel bad for the girl.

You're right, there really is no excuse for decent care. I think some people just don't look at their torts much after the initial excitement wears off.
Yvonne, are you allowed to soak him? Baby food?

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Michigan
Why are Russians always mislabeled? I see it with other species also, but most often with Russians. they look nothing like a box?! The last one I rescued the guy had no idea what species she was! I was once given a "box turtle" that turned out to be a Blandings turtle, a protected species here. A simple 5 minutes of Google is all the time these "caring" owners would need to find, at the least, the correct species.

Thankfully this "box" has found a good home that can treat his beak!! Speedy recovery!

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Mandi,
My guess would be they are one of the most abundant, so they are more likely to be come across, Therefore more 'idiots' get their hands on them..Sorry,maybe idiots is the wrong word? Nahhh idiots it is.
Nay

Status
Not open for further replies.