Yes, its probably a silly question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
However, whats the best way to pick up a tortoise? Especially as they get bigger, just lifting them by the shell? Doesn't that hurt them? Full, underbelly arms wrapped, lift?

I drank lots of coffee, and ate chocolate to get through my evening last night. Which meant that I laid in bed awake for hours, when it was finally time to sleep!! Giving me time to think of these things...

Now I'm off to get ready for another night of work, I'm sure I'll have some goofy question tomorrow too ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
The "proper" way is eight fingers underneath and your thumbs on top. I almost never do it this way, but it is the safest. I can't see how this could possible hurt them. I guess the main thing is, DON'T DROP THEM!

Come to think of it, I can't remember who taught me the "proper" way. Probably the same folks that told me to feed my new box turtle iceberg lettuce and tomatoes in 1979. Ha!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I always tell people to think of yourself being picked up by a giant. How would you feel. So try to give the tortoise to most support you can. If its a small tortoise then placing it on your hand, supporting the whole tortoise, will make him feel safer. If its a large tortoise then have a box or tub handy and using Tom's method, place the tortoise in the box to carry it.

Status
Not open for further replies.