Probably a very silly question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saratoga County, New York
It is supposed to be very hot today and tomorrow, 95*F. Brains, my adult/subadult RT has been living outside full time for about a week now. My two babies, have been outside from about 9am to 4pm, then in for the night.

I brought my temp gun outside today, it's about 80* right now. The sunned areas of the enclosures is already 95-97* . I'm not so worried about that, as I have seen them hit 115+. I tried to get readings of the shaded areas, and scattered hides. They all seem to be mid 80's already.

I am worried as the temperature climbs, the shaded areas will not be cool enough. I'm sure brains will bury himself and he has over 12" of dirt to do it in. The dirt in the babies enclosure is only about 4-5". Tootsie is about 3" long and Tank is about 2".
Is this going to be adequate to cool them off, or should I bring them in? I would think they are capable of cooling in this setup, I just want to make sure, I don't want to roast the little things!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This depends on HOW they are shaded. If its a 6" tall plywood hide with the sun beating right down on it, then its going to heat up. If the shade comes from a tree 20 feet away from the hide and lasts all day, then you should be totally fine.

Pics might help here... and NOT a silly question. :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It's not a silly question and Tom's answer is good. You might consider a Gazebo (a sort of tent roof without walls like this) to cast the kind of airy shade you need on the hottest days.

(Sorry if you know what a gazebo is... I'm just not sure if they're called the same thing your side of the Atlantic!)

Laurie

5 Year Member
I was just laying something across the top for shade. Also, in the corners, I had overturned some grass and weeds so they could hide in it. I just put up an umbrella, lol.
6171ff40.jpg

I'll monitor the temps. It will have to do until my husband gets home from work, we could probably move the whole thing into a more shaded area. If the temps get too high, I'll bring them into AC.

JoesMum said:
It's not a silly question and Tom's answer is good. You might consider a Gazebo (a sort of tent roof without walls like this) to cast the kind of airy shade you need on the hottest days.

(Sorry if you know what a gazebo is... I'm just not sure if they're called the same thing your side of the Atlantic!)

Yes, I know what a gazebo is :). We are planning one, just haven't finished the area off yet.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The trouble with AC is that is very dehydrating. They are used to temperature extremes and will just dig in if it gets too hot and come out in the evening when it cools down. Their routine will change. Yoda in Cyprus has temperatures far higher than yours at the moment and his Greeks are coping just with extra shade.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Here's brains in the shade

12026056.jpg

I think, we are going to have to move it into a more shaded area, until we can get some larger plants growing.

Status
Not open for further replies.