My tortoise laid a broken egg

Peytons torts

So yesterday I went to release my tortoises from their night time box and while I was cleaning the inside of the box I noticed some egg shells and some clear liquid and also remnants of a yolk there wasn't much shells but I was thinking maybe one of the females ate some of the egg shells? And today when I went to release them I noticed a blob of un digested mazuri from witch I fed it to them yesterday and there was a little pinkish hue to it I'm not sure who laid the broken egg or who left the blob of mazuri. today I'm going to create a lay box for my females and put them in the enclosure. They are eating quote a lot and drinking water and they live in a nice big enclosure so I'm not sure what is going on can somebody help me?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What species?
How many females have you got?
How old are they?
What size are they?
Have each of them laid eggs before?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Hi. I have a female leopard that was carrying broken eggs last fall. She had to have surgery to remove the eggs. I hope yours will be able to pass the eggs. I would keep a close eye on them and get xrays if you suspect one is egg bound. My female was passing egg content in her soaks, and was very constipated from it. She tried numerous times to lay her eggs. Broken eggs don't pass. Best wishes.

Peytons torts

What species?
How many females have you got?
How old are they?
What size are they?
Have each of them laid eggs before?

Eastern hermanns
Don't know but they are full grown
7"-9"
Yes they have laid all before.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Eastern hermanns
Don't know but they are full grown
7"-9"
Yes they have laid all before.

Many times a first time layer will drop slugs or duds on the surface. I call this "priming the pump". Your answers above eliminated this theory.

In this case I would worry about hydration and calcium levels. I would soak the females daily for a couple of weeks and then taper it off to three times a week over summer, and I would up the calcium intake a bit to three times a week for these girls.

Don't know about the Mazuri. Are you sure it was Mazuri?

Peytons torts

Many times a first time layer will drop slugs or duds on the surface. I call this "priming the pump". Your answers above eliminated this theory.

In this case I would worry about hydration and calcium levels. I would soak the females daily for a couple of weeks and then taper it off to three times a week over summer, and I would up the calcium intake a bit to three times a week for these girls.

Don't know about the Mazuri. Are you sure it was Mazuri?
It looked just like mazuri that was squished up maybe it was on their feet and they wiped it off in the cage but I'm not sure