Yellowfoot or Redfoot?

Oscar_Smith

I am very interested in buying a red foot or yellow foot tortoise in the springtime. I don't know which one to get! :). Can you guys help me make my decision?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Well. Where do you live at? Yellow foots are fantastic. But require a lot more extravagant outdoor enclosures than Redfoots. Redfoots will seek refuge under trees, plants etc... As will yellows. But outside during heat yellow foots will not venture much. Only in the early mornings, and late evening. They do not favor direct sunlight or even medium filtered sunlight so will require a very heavily planted outdoor enclosure. Indoors they are similar to red foots. Yellow foots are more omnivorous as well. So prepare to feed worms, mice, chicken, expired hamburger meat to a yellow. Whereas reds can easily be given boiled egg as protein. Both are kept here, and both are fantastic species to keep.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Well....first off REDFOOTS RULE, sorry I'm biased. I just love them!! I don't have a yellowfoot...but I want one too!! And I'm sure they will be just as amazing!! However, many people do care for both species. It seems that yellows would require more humidity than Redfoots. But I will let the experts who care for yellows explain. Have you checked the care on Redfoots? Humidity is important for them. Either choice you make, you will be very happy with a lifelong tortoise :)

Oscar_Smith

Well. Where do you live at? Yellow foots are fantastic. But require a lot more extravagant outdoor enclosures than Redfoots. Redfoots will seek refuge under trees, plants etc... As will yellows. But outside during heat yellow foots will not venture much. Only in the early mornings, and late evening. They do not favor direct sunlight or even medium filtered sunlight so will require a very heavily planted outdoor enclosure. Indoors they are similar to red foots. Yellow foots are more omnivorous as well. So prepare to feed worms, mice, chicken, expired hamburger meat to a yellow. Whereas reds can easily be given boiled egg as protein. Both are kept here, and both are fantastic species to keep.
I live in North Carolina, where there are humid-ish summers. I might be leaning toward the red foots, but it isn't final :)

Oscar_Smith

Another choice of mine would be a leopard tortoise. So, basically I'm split between a red/yellow foot and a leopard tortoise

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
It would be great if someone could write a post on the care of each and make the care-sheet a stickie for both so potential buyers could see the difference in care before making a choice.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Well reds are more popular so you would have a bigger community of keepers, they require protein, unlike leopards so different diets to take into consideration. Yellows are not as popular so it may be harder to locate one. I like all 3 species, but if I had only onr to choose, ?I would probably go with a yellowfoot, personally.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
IMO, your best bet is to continue investigating the requirements of each species in which you have interest. Don't get crazy with the number of choices. Keep it narrow, as you have done, between 2 or maybe 3. Try to envision how you would make provisions for their care in your environment like: Indoor & outdoor enclosures, heating, lighting, diet, particular/peculiar requirements, what does it look like in 5 or 10 years?

Unlike a dog or cat (or most pets), in 15 years a trip to the vet's for a round of the pretty pink medicine will not be an expected course of action because the poor thing was dysplastic, arthritic and toothless. Given proper husbandry, those terms are more likely to be used to describe the owner than the pet (other than toothless)...

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
I choose redfoot because where we live has high humidity. Plus I liked that they can eat fruit.