Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
We have a new member, Loretta, who posted her problem in the introduction section. I've copy/pasted it here so more people might see it and help her:

Hi, Of course my name is Loretta. I have become a tort and turtle parent since my children are no longer living at home. I have many many pets. I have an 18 year old dog, a rescue from one of the families that I worked with. I have 3 cats, all rescues. My daughter adopted a rabbit that has become my charge. It free roams with all the other animals. I have geckos, tropical fish, 12 assorted frogs and toads, an African Side neck turtle, an Asian box turtle, 2 rescued Eastern Box Turtles, 3 Russians, 2 of which are rehomed, 1 Sulcata, which is rehomed, 3 Red foots and 1 Yellow foot that is rehomed.

This forum was recommended to me by someone very knowledge about turtles and torts, but unable to answer my question. My Yellow foot has withdrawn. Her skin is very scaly, even though I soak her. She was seen by a vet in this area and he felt she had a bacterial or fungus infection. he did not complete any tests. My question is can I have exposed her to too much light, I use a 60 watt zoo med bulb. Can she actually be suffering from sunburn or is that unlikely. She threw up. Can she also suffer heat stroke and what do I do now. I have taken the light out and am only using heat lights for now. She does get some rays from the tanks around her. He skin is very flaky and dry. I made and appt. for a second opinion, but we her hit by another big snow storm and needed to cancel. Getting her to eat is a problem as well. Any ideas, please?

Hi Loretta:

Please tell us how you have the YF tortoise set up...how big is the habitat? what is the substrate? hiding places? food? water dish? If at all possible, it would be good for us to see pictures of her and her habitat.

Loretta

5 Year Member
Thank you. I am new to this. She is in my hand right now. It pains me that she is not doing well.

emysemys said:
We have a new member, Loretta, who posted her problem in the introduction section. I've copy/pasted it here so more people might see it and help her:

Hi, Of course my name is Loretta. I have become a tort and turtle parent since my children are no longer living at home. I have many many pets. I have an 18 year old dog, a rescue from one of the families that I worked with. I have 3 cats, all rescues. My daughter adopted a rabbit that has become my charge. It free roams with all the other animals. I have geckos, tropical fish, 12 assorted frogs and toads, an African Side neck turtle, an Asian box turtle, 2 rescued Eastern Box Turtles, 3 Russians, 2 of which are rehomed, 1 Sulcata, which is rehomed, 3 Red foots and 1 Yellow foot that is rehomed.

This forum was recommended to me by someone very knowledge about turtles and torts, but unable to answer my question. My Yellow foot has withdrawn. Her skin is very scaly, even though I soak her. She was seen by a vet in this area and he felt she had a bacterial or fungus infection. he did not complete any tests. My question is can I have exposed her to too much light, I use a 60 watt zoo med bulb. Can she actually be suffering from sunburn or is that unlikely. She threw up. Can she also suffer heat stroke and what do I do now. I have taken the light out and am only using heat lights for now. She does get some rays from the tanks around her. He skin is very flaky and dry. I made and appt. for a second opinion, but we her hit by another big snow storm and needed to cancel. Getting her to eat is a problem as well. Any ideas, please?

Hi Loretta:

Please tell us how you have the YF tortoise set up...how big is the habitat? what is the substrate? hiding places? food? water dish? If at all possible, it would be good for us to see pictures of her and her habitat.

She has her own habitat. She is approximately 3 years old. Her habitat is a plastic tub approximately 2 ft. by 3 ft. I had been using spagnum moss, dampened. She is using a shelter that I got when I got her. Her water dish is also her wading pool, purchased. I feed her fruit, mostly romaine lettuce, redpeppers, squash, pumpkin, sweet potatoes and some protein once weekly. I will see if my daughter will help me post a few pictures. Everyone else is fine. I did change her habitat from one where she had mostly hide space to one which is more open.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Sounds to me like it could be internal parasites. The poor skin condition and throwing up are what makes me think this.

How long has it been since she was wormed?

(The the rest of you, I am drawing a blank here :( I know there is another type of infestation that can cause mucusy stools and vomiting, but for the life of me can't spit out the name! Help, please!)

Loretta

5 Year Member
kyryah said:
Sounds to me like it could be internal parasites. The poor skin condition and throwing up are what makes me think this.

How long has it been since she was wormed?

(The the rest of you, I am drawing a blank here :( I know there is another type of infestation that can cause mucusy stools and vomiting, but for the life of me can't spit out the name! Help, please!)

She has not been wormed since I have had her. She spends time with my redfoots for socialization and they are fine.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
They may be now - but it can take years for a tortoise to show an illness. Most often they suffer in silence.

I would get her tested for parasites ASAP, and if she comes up positive, you need to worm ALL of them.

Loretta

5 Year Member
kyryah said:
They may be now - but it can take years for a tortoise to show an illness. Most often they suffer in silence.

I would get her tested for parasites ASAP, and if she comes up positive, you need to worm ALL of them.

Thank you. I planned on having her seen as soon as travel permits. Finding a good reptile vet is difficult and I have so few options in my community. I had to cancel today's appt.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Loretta, I'm working on a Symptoms Guide for the site I have been developing- http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/symptoms.html

It may help you better identify what is going on, but like I said, it is not done yet. Parasites and general stress sounds like a good diagnosis.

Status
Not open for further replies.