Might be rescuing a red foot

Darrell1738

I am relatively new to this forum, but I do have prior knowledge, and this site really helps on anything you may not know. I have been really working on my baby sulcatas enclosure thanks to a few key members on here! (Special thanks!) anywho, I recently found an ad ok Craigslist of a red foot tortoise who had to be rehomed. I emailed the guy, as a red foot was the tortoise species I actually wanted. ( but after a lot of research and planning I adopted a sulcata instead). He said that the red foot tortoise he had was female. Which I think I've read is hard to find in this species? I'm not sure about that though, considering how much information changes with our tortoise buddies! What concerns me is that he purchased her from a breeder. And said she may have already been bred. But he told me she was only 1 year old. Do you guys think she will be okay? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1486653252.389394.jpg
This is the only picture he has sent me of her. Just want her to be checked up on her, and see what you guys think?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
At that age and size, sexing it is pretty difficult. However, both males and females make great pets and stay much smaller than a Sulcata.
A few Red Flags would be the mild pyramidding and the dry substrate and also the red lighting. A few tips just in the one photo that show that it is not being kept in great condition.
It's likely too small to have been bred and also looks at least two years old or more.
It will need UVB lighting, temperatures of between 80 and 90 and humidity of over 75%.

Darrell1738

So almost everything I have been told about this tortoise is wrong. Poor baby! I was thinking that maybe it was dry because maybe they hadn't misted "her" in a while. I have a closed chamber cage, I've already built just incase I do adopt "her". I just wish she was being kept in the right conditions.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
So almost everything I have been told about this tortoise is wrong. Poor baby! I was thinking that maybe it was dry because maybe they hadn't misted "her" in a while. I have a closed chamber cage, I've already built just incase I do adopt "her". I just wish she was being kept in the right conditions.
We wish we could rescue them all, but as Zero will tell you. Sometimes getting one like this can cost you a lot of money in the long run.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
We wish we could rescue them all, but as Zero will tell you. Sometimes getting one like this can cost you a lot of money in the long run.
Yes. I "rescued" a sick female once and then spent the next four or five months and over $2,400 making her well.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Rescues like this can be rewarding if your prepared for the costs and headaches that may come.

I haven't read your other posts, but it sounds like you may be dedicated enough to get the job done, but just know that you should never ever get a craigslist tortoise because it's cheap or convenient.

Darrell1738

Rescues like this can be rewarding if your prepared for the costs and headaches that may come.

I haven't read your other posts, but it sounds like you may be dedicated enough to get the job done, but just know that you should never ever get a craigslist tortoise because it's cheap or convenient.
Of course! He is charging a rehoming fee, but the price isn't what I was watching for. Just saw something that wasn't right, and I just have a major soft spot for red foots! Just wish people would really do their research before getting an animal like these guys. I'm willing to put in the time, but if it's Ill-advised then I might move away from it. Just don't want this baby to live a painful sickly life!

Darrell1738

Trust me I know. I just feel bad for the poor little guy. I guess it's the whole human "compassion" for things that I guess shouldn't bother you, but they just do. Lol

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
I have five tortoises and one turtle. 4 of them were rescues I didn't completely intend to end up with. Two were raised in horrible conditions and two were owners that had to rehome for personal reasons. In all cases though my bleeding heart overcame common sense.

Two of the sulcatas I still consider fosters and eventually I'll have to move them, but I'm not in a horrible rush to do so either.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I didn't understand what about this made this a rescue situation. Someone is just rehoming a tortoise that they no longer want, correct?

Sure, looks like it was kept too dry, but that often just has aesthetic consequences. You'll house it in a humid environment and provide daily soaks.

Nothing rare or special about female redfoots. This one is still too young to confirm sex though. Purchasing from a breeder just means it is captive breed, not that it has been used for breeding. A tortoise breeder who was remotely capable would never allow a yearling to be mounted. Unless you see some cloacal damage, I see absolutely no reason to suspect this or be concerned about it.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I didn't understand what about this made this a rescue situation. Someone is just rehoming a tortoise that they no longer want, correct?

Sure, looks like it was kept too dry, but that often just has aesthetic consequences. You'll house it in a humid environment and provide daily soaks.

Nothing rare or special about female redfoots. This one is still too young to confirm sex though. Purchasing from a breeder just means it is captive breed, not that it has been used for breeding. A tortoise breeder who was remotely capable would never allow a yearling to be mounted. Unless you see some cloacal damage, I see absolutely no reason to suspect this or be concerned about it.
I beleive that the OP considered it a rescue because he/she could provide better care than it was getting currently.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
She looks a bit pyramid ed and dry. But otherwise does not look to be in horrible shape. Mine is a rescue and had some pyramiding and dryness. On his vet visit he was deemed healthy, just needed treatment for some worms. The vet visit cost less than $100. He's been healthy, active, and eating since. I say go for it!

Darrell1738

Thank you! I will have to check her out better when I go see her. Just worries me because of the information I was given on her. Thanks for the information though, and I will def check her out!