Yawns

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Why do turtles/tortoise yawn? Same reason humans do? (to get fresh air to the brain) I've noticed my turtles do it most when basking, and the torts will just stop, and yawn no matter what they're doing!
When do your guys yawn?
Thank you! :D

mitsymoo0309

Great photo there btw! Never quick enough to catch a photo of Mitsy yawning! I would think it is the same reasons humans do! When sleepy and to supply the brain with fresh air! Hope that help!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
You guys don't stay up on the latest tyawning studies, huh?
I think it might have something to do with thermoregulation, perhaps? Since they seem to do it while basking.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Great photo there btw! Never quick enough to catch a photo of Mitsy yawning! I would think it is the same reasons humans do! When sleepy and to supply the brain with fresh air! Hope that help!
That's what I was thinking, one of the most common reasons creatures yawn o_O

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
You guys don't stay up on the latest tyawning studies, huh?
I think it might have something to do with thermoregulation, perhaps? Since they seem to do it while basking.
I guess not! :confused: Where'd you hear it? That could make sense, though, because it would almost instantly cool down their heart and blood. However, that wouldn't work if the air was hot, but if the air was that hot, they wouldn't be above ground basking! (or even on the ground:p )

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
wwg3o5.jpg