2 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tatooineboy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
1.) Do Tortoises yawn? Tori, my hatchling, has yawned. I hope that is normal.

2.) Tori hasn't pooped (that I've noticed). I've soaked her twice in warm water but nothing. She has been eating a lot and drinking when I soak her, but still no poop.

Should I be concerned?

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Yep, tortoises yawn, mine seem to do it all the time, and it's sooo darned cute!

As for pooping, give her some time... mine vary on how often they poop (the ones with constant access to hay poop way more than the rest!) If time goes on and still no poop, then there could be a possibility of worms (happened to one of mine).

SULCATACRAZY

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sunny So Cal, USA
Remembering back to when Turdboy was a little guy (8 years ago) he yawned a lot :)

How long ago was his last poo?

Tatooineboy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks for the comforting words :) I assumed all animals yawned somehow, but ya never know.

I got her on Tuesday. She is CB so its possible she could have worms? Dunno. The breeders I got her from on the turtle forum had good reviews. Anything is possible, I suppose. But with other young animals, I guess a bowel movement isnt as frequent as adults?

S

stells

she will poop in time 2 days isn't very long in the world of tortoise pooping ;)

SULCATACRAZY

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sunny So Cal, USA
stells said:
she will poop in time 2 days isn't very long in the world of tortoise pooping ;)

ahhhh... i remember those days! now its a good 2-3 massive poops each day! LOL

bdoyle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hamilton, Ontario, CAN
Yup, I have a 4" yearling sulcata, just shy of a week ive had her now
and only cleaned up 2 poopers

but boy some giant pee's comin out of him when we let him out for a soak or table run..

Grab the paper towels cuz theirs a flood a comin lol

Tatooineboy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
More one question:

Tori seems to sleep a lot. She is active (very active) for a few hours, eats a lot, then sleeps, then repeats the cycle. Now she has buried herself in the Aspen and Im wondering if she is in for the night. She almost always buries herself under her basking spot- not in the cooler areas.

Is this normal behavior?

Thanks!

Tatooineboy said:
1.) Do Tortoises yawn? Tori, my hatchling, has yawned. I hope that is normal.

2.) Tori hasn't pooped (that I've noticed). I've soaked her twice in warm water but nothing. She has been eating a lot and drinking when I soak her, but still no poop.

Should I be concerned?

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I've asked this question also. I was told it's normal. They are babies and babies sleep a lot. What gets me is how still they can be...scares the crap out of me!! I usually just touch mine just to see her move so i know she is alright!!

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Yah hatchlings sleep TONS!

Dasani sleeps all day, she gets active around 4 pm-ish, I'm noticing, and goes for about 3 hours, then beds in for the night... she sleeps until 9 or 10 am, gets up, eats, then sleeps under the basking lamp until her "active" time... just cycles thru the day like that!

Status
Not open for further replies.