Redfoot breathing

Haz191

Location (City and/or State)
Derby
Hi, guys I just took my red foot out of his enclosure to see how he was doing. When I put my ear up to his nostrils I can here a “pft” noise every few seconds like when you breath out through your nose with slightly more force. Also when he’s in his enclosure I see him “yawn” but never seen him do it

Is this normal ?

he’s a 2020 bred tortoise we’ve had for a few months (about the size of my hand).

he has a uvb light, ceramic heat emitter, bark chips and coco coir, and feed him a varied diet - I’ve also noticed going to his water bowl to drink more often, not sure if that’s normal or me being paranoid.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi there. Hope someone more expert will come along here and help you soon! They will ask for pictures if you can post them, and more details about your setup, temperature, humidity etc.
All the best.

Haz191

Derby
Hi there. Hope someone more expert will come along here and help you soon! They will ask for pictures if you can post them, and more details about your setup, temperature, humidity etc.
All the best.
Just to get them out the way now I guess

average temps are 85 for the whole closed enclosure during the day and 80-83 at night . Humidity ranges from 60-90%

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
85° is about perfect for a temperature.
And everything else seems ok.
Tortoises don't generally like being picked up and by holding it next to your face, expelling air is normal.
A larger tortoise hisses when they expel air.
It's a normal fear reaction. Instinct behavior.