Status
Not open for further replies.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
wellington said:
Baoh said:
Jay, your female is worth around $900 to $1100 on the open market because of her capability to add reproductive capacity to a group. Your male is best sold locally, though. Selling them separately will be easier for you to generate the funds for the Aldabra. You may be able to get $300 for him from a newish buyer, but $200 is a safer bet to count on in terms of a projection for what you can get for him because normal male sulcatas are exceedingly easy to get a hold of.

The shells are decent, which is good and will help.

People are not paying attention to the details you have posted and probably are not especially well versed in getting tortoises sold (several own one tortoise and neither buy nor sell at all and some refuse to ship when they do sell, so their range severely limits their options). For instance, people repeatedly commented on your specific lack of room complaint for the sulcata burrow and then translate that into a lack of adequate room for a baby Aldabra. You spoke of the burrow, a subterranean structure specific to the one situation and wholly inapplicable to the other. Not a concern for an Aldabra. The counterpoints raised are not taking this into account because of a lack of attention and should be dismissed.

With the above said, unless you find extremely motivated buyers, you will probably have to add $200 to $350 to whatever cash you get for those two in order to complete an Aldabra purchase. However, that is a far cry from claims of "$2000" on top of them unless you are getting your Aldabra gold-plated.

Not lack of room for a burrow, but just to lay eggs properly! Second, as already mentioned, wanting a female, that doesn't translate into a hatchling or even a yearly, heck possibly not even into a 5 year old! As for just owning pets, no shipping, etc, etc, don't have to do something to know something! BTW, haven't heard how much room is actually available. Is there a house back home? Property? You don't need to answer/explain, just making a point.

My animals dig nests and will occasionally drop fertile or infertile eggs on the ground as well. That need not have anything to do with room.

He explicitly states no room for a burrow in his first post.

Upon reading the post again, he said he wants a young Aldabra and that a female is preferred. Not that a female is a requirement. Also, a hatchling female is still a female. It does not become female later. You simply may not know until later (unless you wish to have it scoped). Regardless, not a mandated requirement by the poster.

The poster has not shared information in this thread from which we could conclude that there is not enough room to house a single young Aldabra that the poster has said he is seeking.

wellington said:
I don't think we assume that. In this thread, they don't have room for a sulcata to properly lay her eggs, and sounds like they are housed inside. That tells me they don't have the proper room for an Aldabra.
They also stated they wanted a female, which doesn't translate to a hatchling or yearling. I don't think you need an acre for one Aldabra or even two Sullies, however, I do think if they are going to breed, they should have proper outdoor room to do so. I am all for getting what you want, as long as you can afford to do right by it. It may have all been read different, if they didn't request wanting a female and thinking that two Sullies would be a even trade for an Aldabra, when there are soooo many Sullies cheap to whoever will take them in just about every city. It's all about making sure they know what they are getting into and what is required. Will never really know the experience one has, so error on the side of the op, so the tort doesn't suffer.

No room for egg laying is not mentioned.

No room for a burrow is mentioned.

The poster stated he wanted a young Aldabra and that a female is preferred. The poster did not state that he only would accept a young female Aldabra.

There is no indication there is insufficient room outdoors in which to breed his pair of sulcatas. There is an indication that there is insufficient room for a burrow.

I can give away a tortoise. I can also sell it for thousands of dollars. I am not forced to give it away instead of selling it because I am capable of giving it away easily.

Yvonne G said:
Well, I give them away for free...males and females. Granted, the females are pretty scarce, and I only get two or three a year, but they're adopted out for free when I get them in.

Jay...I hope you are able to get your Aldabran tortoise. I have a couple of them, and am kicking myself for not "humanizing" them while they were growing up. It is taking me a long time to teach them to get over being leery of me. They are 13 years old now, and are starting to be like puppy dogs...following me and any visitors around their pen, begging for treats.

You also have stipulations which you adhere to that you have mentioned in the past. These are simply choices you make to impart restrictions you believe in for the benefit of the animal as you perceive it. That does not restrict the actual ability to sell. It restricts the choice to sell under a given set of self-imposed conditions.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Okay I think we have all had a chance to have our say and give a rebuttal. This is NOT a debate thread. It is simply a thread offering up a pair of sulcatas for an Aldabra. The OP's ability to keep any of these animals is NOT the topic. Let's drop the discussion part of this thread please.

JayMillz

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Jesus Christ lol now I remember why I stopped coming to this website and veered over to the dart frog community instead to get my online forum fun. I think the whole tortoise community has a screw loose in their head or something. First off, I'm a 29 year old veteran with 10 years of experience keeping torts, grinding out my degree in Animal Science, and I work at a wildlife rehabilitation center. Don't worry about my ability to take care of anything. I posted the request for this trade like you would a classified ad. If anyone wants to make a big deal about it, start a post in one of the "discussion" sub forums and leave this one alone. If I acquired a young aldabra tortoise, room isn't going to be a problem for a couple of years because of how small it would be, which isn't going to be a problem in the future anyways. I posted a trade ad, so why do I have to get grilled with 20 replys that have absolutely nothing with anyone saying "Yeah bud, I got one for you but I would like a couple extra bucks thrown in." or any kind of relevant reply like that. This ****'s obnoxious and the exact reason I stopped visiting this site. Everyone's so high and mighty and better and knows more than anyone else on this site. I made a perfectly reasonable request when you compare the going prices of everything on other classified sites. So unless a response to my trade ad has anything to do at all with a realistic offer, I'm not even going to bother responding to anyones extra 2 cents they want to throw in. Send me a PM if it bothers you that much or if you wanna preach some **** down my throat. Or start a new post in one of the "discussion" sub forums and y'all can have a big ole' discussion about it there. Thanks for blowing up my trade post with dumb crap, I guess I saw it coming before I even typed it up...

Lancecham

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I think if everyone would have read both of your posts, it should have been clear what you intended to do and the reasoning behind it. I read the thread and understood your intentions and plans from the get go. It is a well thought out plan and you are looking out for the best interest of your sulcatas.
I wish you luck in finding you a great home for your sulcatas and also in finding the aldabra you are looking for.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Agreed. Sorry about the disruption and I wish you success.

JayMillz

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Lancecham said:
I think if everyone would have read both of your posts, it should have been clear what you intended to do and the reasoning behind it. I read the thread and understood your intentions and plans from the get go. It is a well thought out plan and you are looking out for the best interest of your sulcatas.
I wish you luck in finding you a great home for your sulcatas and also in finding the aldabra you are looking for.

Thanks Lancecham, even if no one wants to make the trade, I'm perfectly ok with that too. My sulcatas rock and the trade was/is an offer I have been toying with. Kind of an upgrade in a way. This offer can sit here for a couple more years before anyone is in a situation to take it seriously and I'm perfectly ok with that too. This isn't some kind of spoiled 13 year old kid impulse buy situation. So, if anyone out there ever does want to trade a young aldabra (preferably female, even if it's just going by temperature you raised the eggs at) for a sexually mature pair of sulcatas let me know, I'll check back here from time to time and the offer stands for the next couple of years or I update this thread because I found someone. Emailing me [email protected] might be a quicker way to get me to respond back vs. using TF. I had my hopes up when I got home from work and saw there had been a lot of action on the thread, but not one of those replies was anything close to what I was hoping for unfortunately.

To whoever got their aldabra for free, congrats, you're very fortunate. I'm not that fortunate obviously and that's why I'm trying to trade my pair for one. To whoever gives their sullys away for free to people, congrats, that's awesome too. I get that exact same feeling after releasing rehabilitated animals back into the gorgeous Minnesota wilderness, it's an extremely rewarding feeling. To whoever's worried about the lack of room or care I give any animals, it's ok. I understand your concern, we all love our animals and want the best for them. I know a lot of you are very passionate on that subject. None of that is going to be an issue, especially since juvies are so small, it's practically like starting all over again for now. To the people who were wishing me good luck in finding one, thank you, I'm going to need it. Can a mod please lock this thread now so this final post will stick around and not just gather up more mumbo jumbo replys?

Status
Not open for further replies.