WTT my 2 sulcatas for an aldabra

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayMillz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
I'm interested in trading Shelly & New Guy for a young aldabra, preferably female. Shelly's shell is about 17 inches long and New Guy is about 16 inches. They are sexually active but haven't had a successful clutch yet due to their indoor enclosure and lack of room to create a burrow. Shelly has popped out 2 eggs, 1 was infertile and the other was damaged before it could be removed. The picture is from last summer, I could post up to date ones if requested.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also, if you have lack of room for them, how are you going to have room for an Aldabra?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Man i hope you Have a Acre of land for an aldabra tortoise to run around .

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Actually an acre would be nice, but not needed exactly. I believe Greg has an acre for all his. However, if you don't have room for a sully, not sure how you have room for an Aldabra,

JayMillz

5 Year Member
Minnesota
I'm glad you guys are so concerned. That's why I'm looking for a young one. I have 3 semesters of school left, then I'll have my degree and BAM! time to move back down south ;)

Laura said:
you are probably going to have to include at least $2000 cash with that trade...

That's not true at all Laura. That was a reasonable trade offer when you compare the prices of those 2 sulcatas to a juvie aldabra on kingsnake. Any more unneeded hijacking ridicule from anyone I need to take care of or can we keep the thread to serious replys only please?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Actually, Jay, that WAS a serious reply. Your sulcatas are worth at the very most, $500 each, and that's on the high side. You would be lucky to get that for them. Baby aldabran tortoises start at $1500.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Jay, your female is worth around $900 to $1100 on the open market because of her capability to add reproductive capacity to a group. Your male is best sold locally, though. Selling them separately will be easier for you to generate the funds for the Aldabra. You may be able to get $300 for him from a newish buyer, but $200 is a safer bet to count on in terms of a projection for what you can get for him because normal male sulcatas are exceedingly easy to get a hold of.

The shells are decent, which is good and will help.

People are not paying attention to the details you have posted and probably are not especially well versed in getting tortoises sold (several own one tortoise and neither buy nor sell at all and some refuse to ship when they do sell, so their range severely limits their options). For instance, people repeatedly commented on your specific lack of room complaint for the sulcata burrow and then translate that into a lack of adequate room for a baby Aldabra. You spoke of the burrow, a subterranean structure specific to the one situation and wholly inapplicable to the other. Not a concern for an Aldabra. The counterpoints raised are not taking this into account because of a lack of attention and should be dismissed.

With the above said, unless you find extremely motivated buyers, you will probably have to add $200 to $350 to whatever cash you get for those two in order to complete an Aldabra purchase. However, that is a far cry from claims of "$2000" on top of them unless you are getting your Aldabra gold-plated.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Yes, the female is worth much more than the male like previously mentioned. You might be better off selling her (Faunaclassifieds and Kingsnake would provide the best results for a large breedable female sulcata) and the male first and then taking that cash plus or you might find one like this (http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413056) and buy it out right with the money you've made from selling your sulcatas.

When you sell those sulcatas keep in mind the expense of shipping. I'm not experienced in shipping torts that large so you might ask someone who is for some pointers. I believe baoh might be able to guide you in the right direction, you should PM him.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Jtrux is correct. That is why I advise selling the male locally. Shipping either could easily end up costing you the better part of $150 or so for each animal, depending on how you do it, but it might be unavoidable for the female, as you have to cast a wider net to typically sell some of the more expensive animals unless you are in a very convenient location or the demand for your product is overwhelmingly high.

I tend to build shipping into the prices I ask. It makes things less of surprise for the customer. It, however, can take some bite out of profits if the variable cost does not match up in your favor.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Baoh said:
Jay, your female is worth around $900 to $1100 on the open market because of her capability to add reproductive capacity to a group. Your male is best sold locally, though. Selling them separately will be easier for you to generate the funds for the Aldabra. You may be able to get $300 for him from a newish buyer, but $200 is a safer bet to count on in terms of a projection for what you can get for him because normal male sulcatas are exceedingly easy to get a hold of.

People are not paying attention to the details you have posted and probably are not especially well versed in getting tortoises sold (several own one tortoise and neither buy nor sell at all and some refuse to ship when they do sell, so their range severely limits their options). For instance, people repeatedly commented on your specific lack of room complaint for the sulcata burrow and then translate that into a lack of adequate room for a baby Aldabra. You spoke of the burrow, a subterranean structure specific to the one situation and wholly inapplicable to the other. Not a concern for an Aldabra. The counterpoints raised are not taking this into account because of a lack of attention and should be dismissed.

With the above said, unless you find extremely motivated buyers, you will probably have to add $200 to $350 to whatever cash you get for those two in order to complete an Aldabra purchase. However, that is a far cry from claims of "$2000" on top of them unless you are getting your Aldabra gold-plated.
Baoh ..... I've always respected your insight , wording and professionalism very nicely put!

JD~

“now if I could just learn how to write well and spell…” :p

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
My $$ may be off.. but I was basing it on the fact that I got mine for Free, since here, you would have a hard time getting that price.. and you requested a Female Aldabra.. That would be an older one and not a hatchling..
good luck regardless.. :)

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
2000 will buy you a Aldabra and keep the sulcata lol. But you might have to throw in a little bit. Like above said the female is with the higher dollars. Separating them or Finding someone to buy them will probably be easier then finding someone to trade. Good luck tho. Nice looking sulcatas

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Baoh said:

Not lack of room for a burrow, but just to lay eggs properly! Second, as already mentioned, wanting a female, that doesn't translate into a hatchling or even a yearly, heck possibly not even into a 5 year old! As for just owning pets, no shipping, etc, etc, don't have to do something to know something! BTW, haven't heard how much room is actually available. Is there a house back home? Property? You don't need to answer/explain, just making a point.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
But do you know how much room he has available? Do you know what his capabilities are concerning proper husbandry of large tortoises are?

That's the problem with this forum, rather than say good luck or let us know how it turns out too many people immediately assume that the OP is irresponsible and lacks the resources to accomodate tortoises.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't think we assume that. In this thread, they don't have room for a sulcata to properly lay her eggs, and sounds like they are housed inside. That tells me they don't have the proper room for an Aldabra.
They also stated they wanted a female, which doesn't translate to a hatchling or yearling. I don't think you need an acre for one Aldabra or even two Sullies, however, I do think if they are going to breed, they should have proper outdoor room to do so. I am all for getting what you want, as long as you can afford to do right by it. It may have all been read different, if they didn't request wanting a female and thinking that two Sullies would be a even trade for an Aldabra, when there are soooo many Sullies cheap to whoever will take them in just about every city. It's all about making sure they know what they are getting into and what is required. Will never really know the experience one has, so error on the side of the op, so the tort doesn't suffer.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Laura said:
My $$ may be off.. but I was basing it on the fact that I got mine for Free, since here, you would have a hard time getting that price.. and you requested a Female Aldabra.. That would be an older one and not a hatchling..
good luck regardless.. :)

He said a female was preferred, but it was not a requirement.

wellington said:
Just let us know,how much you actually get for them, then we will see who knows what.:D

How many adult female sulcatas have you sold? I have now sold around a dozen...not counting paring down my ivory group animals.

No need to wait and see.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, I give them away for free...males and females. Granted, the females are pretty scarce, and I only get two or three a year, but they're adopted out for free when I get them in.

Jay...I hope you are able to get your Aldabran tortoise. I have a couple of them, and am kicking myself for not "humanizing" them while they were growing up. It is taking me a long time to teach them to get over being leery of me. They are 13 years old now, and are starting to be like puppy dogs...following me and any visitors around their pen, begging for treats.

Status
Not open for further replies.