Worried! Feral cats! Should we make a wire "lid" for expanded outdoor enclosure?

mylittlecholla

Location (City and/or State)
Fillmore, California
The answer to this question may seem obvious, but I've received contrary opinions about various things, as well as corrections (all good and necessary). I feel properly humbled and frankly, I need the reassurance that I'm doing the right thing by Cholla now.

I notice that most of the pix in the Forum show outdoor enclosures that are not covered, and that said photos come from some of the most experienced people on the forum.

Yet I worry that Cholla won't be safe if her enclosure is left uncovered.

The outdoor enclosure she has now does have a top: it's welded wire with 2" squares on a wood frame that snugs down securely. But that enclosure is now far too small for Cholla, as I've learned from the forum.

Forum responders' consensus has deemed our planned 18' x 5' area as appropriate, given the dimensions of our yard. My husband is handy, and our so-in-law is finally coming over this afternoon (yay!:)) to help us get started on the new enclosure. Son in law is a professional carpenter, and he will be building insulated tortoise night house too per Tom's instructions.

We already have have small plantings for Cholla to shelter under during the daytime, as well as a large established bush. Maybe all that, plus the enclosure right beside our house, will deter hawks--

--but what about those cats? Two of them cruise through our back yard on a frequent basis, night and day. Our 6 foot fence lined with thorny roses does little to deter them.

Under those circumstances, shouldn't we install removable wire lids on top of the enclosure?

Sorry if question is dumb. In any case, I'll be grateful, as always, for y'alls advice.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Yes, you are right. Better safe than sorry. We have all sorts of wildlife around and Sheldons outside cage looks like Alcatraz!
That is my nickname for it. I too am preparing for a larger area and the house is getting painted, so I am waiting.

Maybe your area could have a several wire tops since it is a large area.

I've see all those pics of areas with no tops. I often wonder where these people live ! Oh well ! That is not a risk I am willing to take.

mylittlecholla

Fillmore, California
Yes, you are right. Better safe than sorry. We have all sorts of wildlife around and Sheldons outside cage looks like Alcatraz!
That is my nickname for it. I too am preparing for a larger area and the house is getting painted, so I am waiting.

Maybe your area could have a several wire tops since it is a large area.

I've see all those pics of areas with no tops. I often wonder where these people live ! Oh well ! That is not a risk I am willing to take.

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Cats are probably one of the animals that are passing through your yard.
My husband argued with me for 3 years that there are no raccoons in our yard ..... till finally he got surprised by a family of four.
So I would definitely make sure that the enclosure has a cover.
Also think about mice and rats. They can be evil. They will eat birds that can’t fly alive.
Yes it’s not always pretty looking but better safe than sorry.

mylittlecholla

Fillmore, California
Wow! Cool! I didn't know these existed! Thanks!
Cats are probably one of the animals that are passing through your yard.
My husband argued with me for 3 years that there are no raccoons in our yard ..... till finally he got surprised by a family of four.
So I would definitely make sure that the enclosure has a cover.
Also think about mice and rats. They can be evil. They will eat birds that can’t fly alive.
Yes it’s not always pretty looking but better safe than sorry.

mylittlecholla

Fillmore, California
Thanks. Yes, we have raccoons around here too, and in the past we've had rodents of various kinds. Also, there are coyotes around here. I doubt one would come right into our yard, but . . . .

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Thanks. Yes, we have raccoons around here too, and in the past we've had rodents of various kinds. Also, there are coyotes around here. I doubt one would come right into our yard, but . . . .

Ha yeah trust me they will. Found one in my front yard 4 years ago watching me eat dinner. Read some interesting article talking about animals being less scared since Covid. There is less movement in the world in general. Less cars, less people wandering around etc. not sure how accurate that is but something to think about.
Besides one cover can take away so much worrying.
When you out in the yard with your tortoise it doesn’t have to be on but otherwise no need to risk it. The stress, the vet bill, the worry.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
When I had my desert tortoise, Chug, I asked the same question.

Chug was about 12-15 years old, and weighed 7 lbs, so he was pretty hefty, at least for a bird.

But I routinely have cats coming through, and was concerned.

I got lots of responses, and the concensus was that cats, even feral ones, do not bother with torts.

Here's the thread....

mylittlecholla

Fillmore, California

Chug was about 12-15 years old, and weighed 7 lbs, so he was pretty hefty, at least for a bird.

I got lots of responses, and the concensus was that cats, even feral ones, do not bother with torts.

Here's the thread....

Here's the thread....

mylittlecholla

Fillmore, California
Thank you, Karen. And thanks for sending forwarding the thread, which I've read.

Cholla is still very small--3 yrs old and 5" long.

But I couldn't shoot a cat either. Blackdog1714 suggested a motion-activated sprinkler, and I'm going to look into that.

As you refer to Chug in the past tense, I fear that he has passed away. ☹ I'm so sorry. I always wanted a tortoise, but until I had Cholla, I never knew how dear to the heart they can be. You have my sympathy.

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
I think any outdoor enclosure should have some sort of top to keep critters out and keep your tort in. My husband built frames with chicken wire that we use. I am also in the city and have quite a bit of feral cats roaming our neighborhood. I wouldn't put it past a feral cat to mess with a small tort but I would be more concerned with them pooping in your open enclosure and your tort eating it. I don't think anyone should be purposely trying to harm a cat, you need to make your yard undesirable to them. We bought super soakers and if we see them in the yard we run out and try to soak them. Usually loud noises work too. After a few scares they stopped coming around. Bird feeders will also attract cats so if you have those it may be worth taking them down. Good luck.

Skip K

Virginia
All our enclosures have hinged covers. A pain to build them on such a large scale and able to withstand large predators....but worth it...and a bonus...keeps fall leaves from accumulating...saving me a spring clean up.

Attachments

• 6C606ECB-F908-4408-8E87-F20489AEFE94.jpeg
    6C606ECB-F908-4408-8E87-F20489AEFE94.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 21
  • 29684B3A-A40B-4870-A42E-CDB65C8E4135.jpeg
    29684B3A-A40B-4870-A42E-CDB65C8E4135.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 20

mylittlecholla

Fillmore, California
I think any outdoor enclosure should have some sort of top to keep critters out and keep your tort in. My husband built frames with chicken wire that we use. I am also in the city and have quite a bit of feral cats roaming our neighborhood. I wouldn't put it past a feral cat to mess with a small tort but I would be more concerned with them pooping in your open enclosure and your tort eating it. I don't think anyone should be purposely trying to harm a cat, you need to make your yard undesirable to them. We bought super soakers and if we see them in the yard we run out and try to soak them. Usually loud noises work too. After a few scares they stopped coming around. Bird feeders will also attract cats so if you have those it may be worth taking them down. Good luck.

mylittlecholla

Fillmore, California
Thank you for the good advice and good wishes.

Never thought about the cats pooping in there. Another reason to build the lid.
We took down our bird feeders a few years ago because they were attracting rats (ugh.) We still have bird baths, however.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
At five inches long, the cats aren't likely to mess with your tortoise. Nor are the birds. Raccoons will come in at night and get them, but you are going to have your tortoise in the house, or locked in its night house outside right?

I've been housing 4-5" tortoises outside all day for decades in the same area where you are and have never had a problem. They are all inside, or locked up every night though.

There is no harm in building a lid, but I don't think you need to in our area.

mylittlecholla

Fillmore, California
Thanks for the good advice and helpful picture. :) Good point about the leaves, too.
At five inches long, the cats aren't likely to mess with your tortoise. Nor are the birds. Raccoons will come in at night and get them, but you are going to have your tortoise in the house, or locked in its night house outside right?

I've been housing 4-5" tortoises outside all day for decades in the same area where you are and have never had a problem. They are all inside, or locked up every night though.

There is no harm in building a lid, but I don't think you need to in our area.