Opinion: Feral Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Jacqui. If one of your neighbors did have a problem with your cats. They came to you and talked to you about them. Asked you to do something about them getting into their yard and let's say, using their flower bed, or kids sand box, as a litter box. What would you do? If they ask you to do something about it, should 't you do something about the problem? The problem you took on. That's what most people would probably do. I just feel that some people that treat the animals like the op is talking about, probably won't care what their cats are doing to anyone. They have probably never seen a vet, and are probably only fed, when they are remembered. Hopefully I am wrong, she will talk to the neighbors and the neighbors will try to remedy the situation. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
wellington said:
When I was younger I had a couple indoor outdoor cats. The male got beat up by birds all the time and died at a young age. The female, not spayed, under my parents expense and couldn't afford it, got pregnant. We kept two and the mother. They all got killed, kittens, before a year old, the mother shortly after. Never had an outdoor cat again. The three indoor cats since, have lived much longer, much longer, we're healthy, happy and never wanted outside. My oldest, a Bengal I have now, 15 1/2 years old. Hasn't been sick a day in his life, until now, has Reno failure:( never wanted outside, never has gone outside except to the vets to be neutered, and declawed and is one happy cat. If they don't know the outside, they don't know what they are or aren't missing.

Keep in mind, my inside cats all were born and lived usually for their first months as wild cats (even the ones I adopted come to think of it). Also here, my most senior cats are all ones which were born free, were made house cats, and then chose to go back outside (my children would get tired of fighting with them at the door and would finally let them go outside, these days what is inside is made to stay inside).

I just yesterday lost one of my older outside cats, Azul. She was 17. My son found her in the park with eyes very infected and she ended up losing most of her sight in one eye. She remained in the house for a couple of years, then went back outside. She was never sick, except for what she had when she came. I also never saw her go off our place.

I have a large yard and with just a few exceptions my cats either are within our yard or visiting my neighbors who also have cats and have food out for them. I have a few cats who will follow me around, when I walk my dogs around the block and thus leave this community "backyard" situation. Everybody considers us a parade. :D

By the way, very sorry to hear about your failing cat.

wellington said:
Jacqui. If one of your neighbors did have a problem with your cats. They came to you and talked to you about them. Asked you to do something about them getting into their yard and let's say, using their flower bed, or kids sand box, as a litter box. What would you do? If they ask you to do something about it, should 't you do something about the problem? The problem you took on. That's what most people would probably do. I just feel that some people that treat the animals like the op is talking about, probably won't care what their cats are doing to anyone. They have probably never seen a vet, and are probably only fed, when they are remembered. Hopefully I am wrong, she will talk to the neighbors and the neighbors will try to remedy the situation. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

How can you jump to such conclusions about their neighbor? They don't know them and have not taken the time to know them. Do you really think the folks in my village have any idea that I keep all these cats up to date on shots (including the rabies)? Of course in this area, which is mainly farmers, cats have as a rule have no value. Their job is to hunt mice in the barns. Seldom do farmers get their aniamls even basic shots, let alone the whole series or get them spayed/nuetered.

I just wish folks felt the same rules should hold true of children as dogs and cats... that they should have to remian in their yards or on leashes, made to be kept quiet or be taken away... (sorta said in a joking manner, but yet actually thinking that's how it really should be. I mean why can folks let their children behave worse then their animals or their neighbor's animals are allowed?).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you. Sorry to hear about your Azul, 17 that's good for an outdoor cat. However, I am thinking you don't live by very busy streets, am I right? When I had my outdoor cats in Michigan, we weren't too far from a busy highway and busy streets. Thats what took the mother and two kittens. Cats born outside are hard to keep in. Cats that have never been outside, don't care to be out. Hopefully, for the op everything will work out for everyone, especially the cats:)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I live on the main street of a small village. We actually get more traffic then we should for the size of village in my opinion. However the funny thing is, as a rule if a cat (or somebody's dog) is sleeping in the middle of the street, cars will go around them, if they don't move. It's kinda the same thing we do for the horse a guy ties up to graze the ditch at his house and the horse often gets up onto the road. :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hey, I'm all for children rules same as dogs or cats. I also wish cats had the same license laws as dogs. Not to punish people like you, trying to help them out and such, but so we don't need people like you.(I mean that in no homeless, feral cats) Probably impossible. LOL. I agree, most farmers don't take care of their animals, dogs, cats, etc. believe me I know quite a few farmers. I do hope I am wrong about the neighbors. However, I have found my assumptions to usually be true. Not always, but a lot of the time.

Jacqui said:
I live on the main street of a small village. We actually get more traffic then we should for the size of village in my opinion. However the funny thing is, as a rule if a cat (or somebody's dog) is sleeping in the middle of the street, cars will go around them, if they don't move. It's kinda the same thing we do for the horse a guy ties up to graze the ditch at his house and the horse often gets up onto the road. :D

That's nice, except i would probably want to strangle the person letting the dog get into the road. in the city, we don't really have strays. Not here on the North side anyway. Once in a while a cat has gone missing. The city used to let cats loose in the city to render the rat problem. Ha, doesn't work very good. People like you were probably feeding them:p LOL.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
question that is a bit off topic, but when I took one of the wild kittens into the vet this week, as I was getting the shots, the Vet asked me if I want a leukemia shot for her too. Now at the time, I was surprised, but never followed through. I get all the cats all the shots they can have and never realized folks don't get all of them. Then the earlier post about cats not being required to get rabies in MO, I realized I had always just assumed cats had to get rabies shots too. Now in your state are all the shots required on cats?

wellington said:
Ha, doesn't work very good. People like you were probably feeding them:p LOL.

I have always believed a well fed cat is the best hunter. ;) In this village, dogs are normally never on leash and are allowed to run free as long as they don't bother folks (or get into gardens during gardening season... that part is a written law. :D ). My dogs are the exception with a fenced in yard or walking on leash. Use to always be a few dogs sleeping outside the bar (our village's only business).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If your asking me. In Illinois. Cats aren't required to get any shots:( I have always gotten them all. I also require my renters, if they have a cat or dog to get all the shots. It should be every state at least requiring rabies.

I will be signing off, my ipad is dying and its late. Good night all.:D

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
roaming the neighborhood. It does not matter if they are spayed, neutered, or are able to carry on a conversation. They are a nuisence. Plain and simple.......

I have seen alot of people that fit this bill.....hmmm? Jacqui, you go on with your bad self....see, the prob is that yes, there are irresponsible people who disregard animals and in doing this there are in tact males and females---which will always equal babies, which is indeed a natural thing---and in the wild "so to speak" some will live and many will die....so they will either find a food and water source(jacqui) or will get sick and linger until they die...wow, sounds like a couple folks here think that is just too damn bad, and yup, they would I suppose be part of society that does not want to be "bothered"....

Well, Jacqui, I have been forced into the role that you have described...I have these AWESOME (sarcastic) neighbors that have brought two female cats to their property and cut them loose....mind you, I had lived here for near 6 years and NEVER EVER EVER saw a cat of any kind on my property nor anywhere surrounding my property....then they did this----now, about once a month or so--two big ole tom cats show up..do their business and move on till the females are prego...well, thankfully the two times the one female had kittens (where I don't know) none seem to have appeared anywhere--I know, sounds cruel but just the way it is....the other female has had a successful litter of 6 kittens of which 3 have remained and no sign of the others....well she just had another litter of 5...they sure are cute...and she planted them all under my front porch tree as it is shielded from hawk and falcon snatching zone because of the ground cover...so there they sit--am I going to call the pound? hell no, will they all make it to adult age, likely not---will I continue to place some food in a dish on the edge of the porch and fill the water dish for them each day, yes---then I leave them to be--some chance at life and freedom is better than none whatsoever....oh wait, let me add---In my humble opinion that is....

Also, the propagation of full bred cats and dogs in of itself, contributes directly to this quandary you are now in....I would re consider purchasing a cat and perhaps pick out one of the cuties likely living right under your nose....again, In my humble opinion that is....

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
kurmaraja12 said:
Jacqui, you bring up some very valid points. I don't want to take anyone's animals away. And I do worry about the kittens because it is getting cold out at night. Don't think I want to just stick it to my neighbors, maybe I came off sort of cold. But I also just don't want my yard to be overrun with cats as well. Tomorrow I will ask if she at least knows there are kittens and what she plans on doing with them. Then I will rethink calling animal control.

I've done a lot of feral cat TNR, and I think this is the best approach. You are stuck living next to this neighbor until one of you moves, and it is hell-on-earth having a neighbor who hates you. I had this exact problem in a neighborhood I used to live in. Peoples' outdoor cats were breeding with ferals, and creating lost and lots of semi-feral kittens.

This is what I would do: First, talk yo your neighbor and figure out which cats belong them, and tell her what you would like to help the other cats and kittens by getting them spayed/neutered, and vaccinated for rabies. There are programs in many communities that will loan you traps to catch ferals, and then s/n for free or extremely low cost. You put the trap out at night w/ a little bit of canned food in it, and take the trapped cat to the spay/neuter clinic the next morning, then return the cat to the same exact place once it has recovered from the surgery. However, if you catch a cat or kittens in the trap, and they meow at you and move around in the trap, it most likely means they are NOT feral, and are adoptable, so you can find homes for them or take them to the humane society. If a cat or kitten you catch is as still as a statue, crouched in the corner of the trap with eyes-wide-open, and completely silent, you have a feral cat that needs to be fixed and returned to the exact place it came from. If you catch a friendly adult cat, I would check with your other neighbors to see if it's theirs before you do anything with it. You could also take that opportunity to educate them on the dangers outdoor cats face, like disease exposure, injury from cars, etc. You might also want to talk to your other neighbors about the cat situation in general, before you decide to do anything, as most people are very supportive of efforts to reduce the number of strays wandering around, as well as finding good indoor homes for adoptable kittens. When I did this in my former neighborhood, I just dropped a note in everyone's mailboxes letting them know what I was up to, otherwise someone might release cats from the trap, thinking you're taking them to animal control to have them euthanized.

The result in my neighborhood was fantastic. Most of the kittens turned out to be adoptable, so I found homes for them. Since the adult cats that remained were no longer reproducing, there was zero population growth. In fact a few of the adult cats eventually wandered off (or maybe got hit by cars?) and there were only a couple left in the end. It took some effort, but was totally worth it, in my eyes. It's kind of a win-win for everyone that way. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's not a bad idea. although i believe whose ever cats are causing the problem, should be the one to bare the expense of taking care of the problem. if you do it for them, some, not all but some will take advantage of it and just keep bringing in more cats. The other thing, do not put a note in the mail boxes. That's a federal offense, and you will be fined if caught doing so.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I'm with Eric on this one. If the cat (or dog) is roaming around unleashed (and un-collared), and it comes on my property, it is fair game for me to capture it, take it to the shelter, or shoot it. I have no tolerance for strays or ferals. Unrestrained cats (feral or otherwise) are a nuisance at best, and a plague on small native wildlife at worse.

I don't like cats coming in my yard, catching all the lizards (sometimes for sport) that call my backporch home.

Don't get me wrong, I like cats, I've had them before, btu Eric is right; responsible cat owners get their cats fixed and keep them inside. Period. Sorry to step on peoples' toes, but no one will change my opinion on that. If people really value their pets, they'll be more responsible about it.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
wellington said:
That's not a bad idea. although i believe whose ever cats are causing the problem, should be the one to bare the expense of taking care of the problem. if you do it for them, some, not all but some will take advantage of it and just keep bringing in more cats. The other thing, do not put a note in the mail boxes. That's a federal offense, and you will be fined if caught doing so.

Ummmm... perhaps I should clarify. The note I dropped was actually via the postal service. Wellington is correct, it is a federal offense to open a mailbox that does not belong to you.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
There are programs, at least here in Michigan, where you can have feral cats spayed, neutered, and vaccinated for $20 per cat. A guy who works with me has had about 20 cats done in this fashion. Previously he was paying to have them all done at the full price. He said they clip one of the ears so if they are picked up the animal control worker knows that the cat has been vaccinated.
My worry would be if you call animal control they are putting those cats down. I don't know of any no kill shelters willing to take in feral cats.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
shellysmom said:
I've done a lot of feral cat TNR, and I think this is the best approach. You are stuck living next to this neighbor until one of you moves, and it is hell-on-earth having a neighbor who hates you. I had this exact problem in a neighborhood I used to live in. Peoples' outdoor cats were breeding with ferals, and creating lost and lots of semi-feral kittens.

This is what I would do: First, talk yo your neighbor and figure out which cats belong them, and tell her what you would like to help the other cats and kittens by getting them spayed/neutered, and vaccinated for rabies. There are programs in many communities that will loan you traps to catch ferals, and then s/n for free or extremely low cost. You put the trap out at night w/ a little bit of canned food in it, and take the trapped cat to the spay/neuter clinic the next morning, then return the cat to the same exact place once it has recovered from the surgery. However, if you catch a cat or kittens in the trap, and they meow at you and move around in the trap, it most likely means they are NOT feral, and are adoptable, so you can find homes for them or take them to the humane society. If a cat or kitten you catch is as still as a statue, crouched in the corner of the trap with eyes-wide-open, and completely silent, you have a feral cat that needs to be fixed and returned to the exact place it came from. If you catch a friendly adult cat, I would check with your other neighbors to see if it's theirs before you do anything with it. You could also take that opportunity to educate them on the dangers outdoor cats face, like disease exposure, injury from cars, etc. You might also want to talk to your other neighbors about the cat situation in general, before you decide to do anything, as most people are very supportive of efforts to reduce the number of strays wandering around, as well as finding good indoor homes for adoptable kittens. When I did this in my former neighborhood, I just dropped a note in everyone's mailboxes letting them know what I was up to, otherwise someone might release cats from the trap, thinking you're taking them to animal control to have them euthanized.

The result in my neighborhood was fantastic. Most of the kittens turned out to be adoptable, so I found homes for them. Since the adult cats that remained were no longer reproducing, there was zero population growth. In fact a few of the adult cats eventually wandered off (or maybe got hit by cars?) and there were only a couple left in the end. It took some effort, but was totally worth it, in my eyes. It's kind of a win-win for everyone that way. :)

I think this is the best route. I wish we had a low cost s/n clinic in this area. I know the closest one that I have used is an hour and half drive away with bookings (last I knew) now a year in advance. They use some sorta of drug to knock them out for the surgery, which can cause issues. I know last time I had one of the females end up having major problems and had to be taken in to a local Vet as an emergency. That clinic really was against the drug they used for being too harsh and dangerous, also the lack of pain meds given. I have talked to my own Vet about getting reduced costs for the sheer numbers. He said his cost on the females were as low as he could go.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
My opinion - you should remove them in the most humane method you can if they are causing you to be uncomfortable or are a nuisance. The nice thing to do would be to talk with your neighbors first and try to find a solution between yourselves. But as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter if it's someone else's pet...allowing the cat to roam free is NOT responsible pet ownership. At least in a city or suburb area.

I (had) a lot of feral cats in my neighborhood when we first moved in. They came in our backyard every night...dug holes in the tortoise pens, pooped in the tortoise pens, fighting and mating, chased each other, knocked over things in the tortoise pens, woke us up at all hours of the night, etc... All of which made us very uncomfortable and frustrated. On top of that, there was always the thought that these cats may be getting some kind of treatment or medication and after pooping in our tortoise pens. What if one of our tortoises digs up the poop and eats it? We keep our hatchlings outside too, I shouldn't have to spend the extra money to make my hatchling enclosures cat proof because someone doesn't take the responsibility of keeping THEIR cat out of MY backyard.

I know it's not a viewpoint that everyone would agree with, but I have the right to enjoy my own home and land and I have the primary responsibility to my tortoises and other pets. A feral cat is a threat to all of that, and I feel the right thing to do is to humanly remove them from the area.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
We had some friends in our neighborhood that had indoor/outdoor cats. I can see that out in the country but in our area those cats will get ran over. I didn't like that they did that, but it was their animals soooo to each their own.
I personally don't let my dogs go out unsupervised, which means if they are outside I am there watching. We have a problem now with feral kids that live behind me, who can't stay out of my yard.
I think you should talk to the neighbors and learn their position. Let them know the issues this is causing you. If they are good people, and this is their problem, they will remedy it.
On the other hand, they could be neighbors like mine, who let their 2 and 4 year old roam unsupervised. I have seen them over a mile away on 40mph streets where people usually drive crazy. I have asked the neighbor politely several times to please have her kids stay out of my yard because I have a dog that doesn't like kids. The kids run through my yard like it's their path to my street, right by my house no less. The "mother" actually made a snarky comment to me about how her kids got dog poop on their shoes. I responded that my dogs only poop in my yard. Now as a result of her negligence, I have to do a kid scan before i let my dogs go potty, and I cant actively take them out to play in my own lawn. If my dog bites one of those kids they could sue me.
Sorry, you got me going on a rant. My neighbors and I are putting up rows of arborvitaes next year to block out the beverly hillbillies from our yards because they don't respond to rational requests.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Neal said:
My opinion - you should remove them in the most humane method you can if they are causing you to be uncomfortable or are a nuisance. The nice thing to do would be to talk with your neighbors first and try to find a solution between yourselves. But as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter if it's someone else's pet...allowing the cat to roam free is NOT responsible pet ownership. At least in a city or suburb area.

I (had) a lot of feral cats in my neighborhood when we first moved in. They came in our backyard every night...dug holes in the tortoise pens, pooped in the tortoise pens, fighting and mating, chased each other, knocked over things in the tortoise pens, woke us up at all hours of the night, etc... All of which made us very uncomfortable and frustrated. On top of that, there was always the thought that these cats may be getting some kind of treatment or medication and after pooping in our tortoise pens. What if one of our tortoises digs up the poop and eats it? We keep our hatchlings outside too, I shouldn't have to spend the extra money to make my hatchling enclosures cat proof because someone doesn't take the responsibility of keeping THEIR cat out of MY backyard.

I know it's not a viewpoint that everyone would agree with, but I have the right to enjoy my own home and land and I have the primary responsibility to my tortoises and other pets. A feral cat is a threat to all of that, and I feel the right thing to do is to humanly remove them from the area.

Sounds so much like some neighborhood children we had in the past. Wish many folks felt this way about how resposible they should be about their children, maybe then pet owners would do the same. :cool:

It was funny one day this summer I was walking my dogs and we went down the alley that divides part of my back yard from the park. A block away I could hear a couple of children making noise. We came around past the bathhouse and one of the kids did another scream. My dog turn and gave a bark. The kids yelled, "Shut up dog!". I then turned and replied back, "He was just telling you to shut up. We heard your constant screaming from a block away." Neither he nor his Mother had anything further to say. The point is, I have never understood why a dog can not bark, yet a child can make loud noises and that is not consider offensive?

I love living on the edge of a small village where we can have cats, dogs, and even those disease carrying children running around. :D (a side note for those who do not know me, I actually do like children, for which my own four are thankful. :D )

kurmaraja12

5 Year Member
Belleville, IL
I really like everyone's ideas, so what I will do is go say hi and tell them that their cats have had kittens, and then offer to bring the adults to a low cost n/s place as to not increase the population. And possibly give the kittens to a rescue (IM poor and I don't know if I could pay for all the kittens to be fixed as well) And I will give them the information on such a place and a rescue also, in case they want to do it themselves.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
I love almost every animal I have ever met, including most children. I just don't understand why anyone would think it's ok to let their animals OR children come onto my property without my permission. It's just rude in my opinion, and I would never allow any of my animals or children to step one foot on anyone else's property without the owners permission.

I have nothing against outdoor cats, as long as they aren't violating anyone's private property rights without permission.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Kerryann, you should inform the neighbor that her kids are trespassing and that is against the law. I would then inform them, that if they don't stay out of your yard you will call the police. Let them know, once the police are involved, you will have to tell them everything you have observed. Which is two very small children, unsupervised running the streets. Which then the police will have to get the child welfare involved, and if that all happens, you (Kerryann) will never have to complain about her kids again, as they will be taken away. Maybe she will do something then. If not, call the police. I would not be able to tolerate that at all. If you are on my property or even touching it, you darn well have better been invited. Whether cats, dogs, kids, or any other animal. They all need responsible parents/owners. Unfortunately there is no law any place I believe, about cats being confined:(

Status
Not open for further replies.