Do I "need" a lid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shellibelli72

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
I have a Russian tort and we just built an outdoor enclosure for him. My question is do I have to put a screened lid or chicken wire over it or is just putting plenty of "hide" areas good? I live in the woods so there are plenty of coons and whatever else out there, so of course I worry about that. My enclosure is small enough now I could cover it, but I plan on adding on to it and I am not sure if it would be possible.
Any thoughts?

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
RE: Do I "need" a lid?

How old and what size is your Russian?

CCup

5 Year Member

Our two year old Greek tortoise was outside in his hide and the coons found her and carried her off. We found her enclosure in the morning with the hide overturned and haven't seen any sign of her since. Unfortunately we even have a cover but forgot to close it that night. I'd cover it (latched) or give your tortoise some place secure from predators at night like a house/hide with a locked door and make sure they are in before bed. Raccoons are crafty enough to know how to get things open so it has to have a latch/lock that they can't operate.

Maybe this isn't an issue with a bigger tortoise.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California

For sure a lid, especially if you keep him out at night. You should just make it bigger now so you don't have to make 2 lids. Just my opinion. Good luck.

shellibelli72

5 Year Member
Missouri
So what do you all think is the age/size where you wouldn't need a lid, I am planning in my near future on a baby Sulcata :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since you live so close to woods, I would just bring the tortoise indoors for the night.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Lids are for security or for heat/humidity control. Some people don't need to cover their outdoor pens for various reasons, but lots of others have had problems with wild animals, loose dogs, human thieves, etc.

shellibelli72

5 Year Member
Missouri
Yeah, I don't worry too much about human thieves, just the furry version...LOL
Also the hawks I worry about. But I didn't know if there is a specific age or size where you wouldn't need a lid.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Full grown sulcatas are pretty safe!

Seriously- the answer to that depends on the predators. Raccoons, for example, can get into turtle shells pretty easily, and dogs can crack open a lot of stuff. Birds are not usually a problem once the tortoises get a little weight.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I bring my tortoise in at night and he's 5". I am working on a predator proof lid, but I will only leave him out at night if I am 100% sure there is no way a raccoon or other predator can get in.
For now I feel better knowing he's safe and sound asleep in his bin in my closet. ;)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona

Lid yes. I live out in the woods as well. I worry about coyotes as well as raccoons and opossums and skunks. All those predators are in my neighborhood as well as the bigger ones and smaller ones. You can run a hot line around the top of the enclosure with plastic insulators. I would go with a house that you can close up tight at night to keep critters out. It is terrible what a hungry mouse can do to a sleepy tortoise. Good luck and stay in touch.

shellibelli72

5 Year Member
Missouri

Cowboy_Ken said:
Lid yes. I live out in the woods as well. I worry about coyotes as well as raccoons and opossums and skunks. All those predators are in my neighborhood as well as the bigger ones and smaller ones. You can run a hot line around the top of the enclosure with plastic insulators. I would go with a house that you can close up tight at night to keep critters out. It is terrible what a hungry mouse can do to a sleepy tortoise. Good luck and stay in touch.

A mouse? Wow, never thought of that!

Status
Not open for further replies.