Worried about new tortoise

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
I have stated on the forum a few times that I am getting a hermann's "juvenile" for a gift. My mom is still trying to surprise me by saying I'm getting something else, but my dad has already told me I'm getting it, when they ordered it, how to take care of it until they give it to me, etc. But it turns out they are getting it tomorrow and plan on giving it to me christmas day. And my parents want me to be the one to get it set up, but that means waiting 6 days (5 depending on how you count it). My dad said he plans on getting a box filling it with topsoil and putting the box next to a radiator in their room. He said it probably gets up to 95 right next to it. I told him to absolutely make sure he soaks the tortoise in luke-warm water once it arrives. I have reminded him daily of it, actually. I told him daily soaks would be great too, but he didn't seem thrilled with that idea. Will the tortoise be okay for roughly 5 days set up in these conditions? I just don't want the tortoise to arrive healthy, but be sick by the time I get him/her.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It will probably survive, but why put it through the stress. I don't see the point.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
Tom said:
It will probably survive, but why put it through the stress. I don't see the point.

That's what I told him. But they think I'm just trying to get it early.

nearpass

10 Year Member!
If it's a juvenile, and between 2.5 and 3 inches, as I believe you mentioned, I'll bet it will be fine. Probably doesn't even have to be quite that close to the radiator, from what you mentioned of the room temperatures in your house. At least have your Dad put a dish of water in there, sunken a bit into the dirt...that's as important as anything else.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
why make the tortoise suffer for superficial means? it's not a surprise anymore. it's not a sweater you can wrap up under the tree. he's home now so he needs proper a home.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
I agree with what everyone is saying, 100%, but they won't change their minds. I'll just be sure to soak maybe twice a day for a few days. I also had another concern. Do I have to worry about "hatchling failure syndrome"? I think that's the name of it. Anyway, is 2.5 inches not considered hatchling stage? I just keep worrying if the tortoise has a possibility of dying in my care...

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
honestly, it should be fine. tortoises have the ability to survive awful conditions for awhile. that being said, that's for older torts....2.5" may still be hatchling. hopefully whoever you bought it from were correct in it's age. if so, he will be okay. just provide water in the enclosure, fresh greens and a light of some kind, even if just to light up the enclosure would be great. you don't need to soak him that often, if he eats then every other day until he's settled in will work.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Definitely sneak in and soak him daily if you can, water dish, etc. A bit stressful for you!

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
Team Gomberg said:
Did the new tortoise come in?

Is it "hidden" in the parent's room?

Yes, it came in yesterday. My dad keeps asking me what to do next. I don't really see a point in waiting, I know I'm getting it. They have it "hidden" next to the radiator. I told him to set it so that one part is warmer than the other. He also added a hide and water dish today. He soaked "her" yesterday for twenty minutes and fed her yesterday and today. He said she is eating with no issues and is very active, so I'm excited!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't take away your parent's fun. It's all part of the Christmas game. Your tortoise will be fine as long as they keep him warm.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
That's hilarious. He is asking you what to do and caring for it with your help but still "hides" it from you for the next 5 days.... ??

Are you setting up her new home while you wait? Getting it ready for her?

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
I still have to move my keyboard out of my room, but after that I have all the space I need. They are building the enclosure in the basement, so I'm not allowed in certain parts of the upstairs, and I'm not allowed downstairs, which annoys me because that's where I store my opuntia.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
So my dad has really taken a liking to her. He actually calls her cute, talks about her poop (he would get irritated if I mentioned my russian tortoise's poop). He even said he has considered getting a tortoise for himself when I get older and move out. He said she has been eating everyday, has no mucus coming from the eyes's/mouth, clear eyes, and he has been soaking her everyday. He told me she drinks every time he soaks her too! I can't wait to her drink, because I only have seen my russian tortoise drink once. My dad said she sticks her head completely under and just starts "chugging." He replaces her waterer everyday as well. He also mentioned he hasn't gotten a lot of sleep because her keeps waking up at night to make sure she is okay. He worries just like I do, it's funny.

I prepared the space for the enclosure! It's going to go right next to my Russian tortoise. I have a power-strip already set up so now I just need the enclosure and tortoise!

tortoisehappy

I got a tortoise a couple months ago in June, and when he doesn't have enough space to roam around he gets really agitated. If you were to get him early I say have the tank and enclosure set up before Christmas. I just don't see the point of doing that if the tortoise is just gonna get stressed and agitated