Worried about baby tortoise.

TINYTANK

Location (City and/or State)
West syssex
Hi. I got my tiny tank 2 weeks ago and boy does he have me worried. He is a 7mth old hermann tort and weighs 35grams . I did all my research before getting him but he cant of read the manual as he defies everything.
1. He WILL NOT go anywhere near his heatlamp/light/uvb
2. He likes to sleep all day if he can
3. He has gone days without eating but when he does its tiny amounts.
4. He hates his calcium sprinkles.
My daily routine is i wake him, give him a nice long soak in warm water, dry him and put him back with a selection of foods (Which he snubs). He will then take himself back to bed in the coolest part and sleep.
I have now removed the light and put in my chick brooder which he seems to prefer but i cant control the temperature of it.

For the last few days he has been really lethargic and refused to eat anything. He did try some buddleia flowers and only took a couple of nibbles then when back to bed.
My question is (finally!!)..... is this normal. At the moment hes asleep in the garden enclosure in a terracota plant pot. Do they really sleep that much. He is weeing and pooing fine. I thought he might of been abit more active.
I love him to bits and would hate to lose him.
His enclosure if half pea shingle which i wet daily for humidity, half substrate with spider plants and terracota pots for hiding plus the brooder plate. He goes out daily in a draught proof enclosure for uvb

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Did you read our caresheets? Most other info out there is not correct or old.
Now we need to know the actual temps and humidity. The over all temp day and night and the basking temp and the cooler side temp? Humidity?
I don't know what pea shingle is so a pic of the enclosure will help a lot too.
They do sleep a lot but this doesn't sound normal to not eat and too sleep that much.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Did you read our caresheets? Most other info out there is not correct or old.
Now we need to know the actual temps and humidity. The over all temp day and night and the basking temp and the cooler side temp? Humidity?
I don't know what pea shingle is so a pic of the enclosure will help a lot too.
They do sleep a lot but this doesn't sound normal to not eat and too sleep that much.
We call it pea gravel here:

upload_2018-7-11_7-2-25.jpeg

TINYTANK

West syssex
Thanks. I read the care sheet and all seems to be ok. Ambient temp is currently 81, hot spot is admittedly not that high but he dont go near it anyway. As you can see he has emerged to eat again... seems to like those flowers. I removed the light to take the photo. I was thinking of changing to a ceramic heat emitter and seperate uvb to see if he prefers that.

Attachments

• 15313183849221429555120.jpg
    15313183849221429555120.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 27

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The basking spot is very important. If they can't warm up under a 95-100 basking spot they can't properly digest their food.

Ohio
I have a 3 month old hermann's that weighs 23 g and he's only awake for maybe a few hours per day, so i wouldn't worry about your little guy.

I expected him to be more active when he arrived as well, but I think they are just tiny babies and they grow slowly at first. Probably nature ensuring these little babies hunker down and don't get snagged by predators while they are so small and vulnerable.

They get more active as they get older, just a patient waiting game it seems.