Worried about my new russian

SpikeyBoi

Location (City and/or State)
Forrest City, Ar
Hi all. I am a first time tortoise owner and I just got my russian tortoise, Spike, from backwaterreptiles yesterday! I have done a lot of research but some things are contradictory and I just want to make sure he is OK and healthy.

He has these white spots on his shell, they feel and look like his shell has been chipped. Would that just be from damage?

He keeps one of his back legs stretched out the majority of time. When he moves, it doesn't look like anything is wrong with it or he has issues moving it either. Is that a problem or is he just being weird?

I just got him yesterday around 10 am. I immediately put food out for him but he didnt eat any of it. He barely moves and if he does it's just to dig a little in a corner and then sleep. Also when I pick him up he stretches everything out.

This morning I soaked him for about 15 minutes in Luke warm water. He did poop. But when I put him back in his home with food, he completely ignored the food and went to a corner to dig himself down a little bit and is asleep.

Part of me feels like he just needs time to acclimate to this new environment, but part of me is also worried that it may be more than that. I just want him to be happy and healthy.

Warm side:
Temp 90
Humidity 43

Cool side:
Temp 79
Humidity 75

I currently do have him in a glass terrarium but added felt to the glass so he could not see out. I expected him to be smaller. I do plan on upgrading him to an actual tortoise house that will be 2 ft by 4 ft.

He has a hide and I used terra cotta dishes for his water bowl and basking feeding plate. I do have a better bowl and plate coming from Amazon.

I have 2 domes sitting on the mesh, uvb and heat lamp. And also have a dual dome coming with a infrared night light and timer plugs. I also have a dehumidifier fan.

I know this is a long post but I just want to make sure I'm doing right. Any advice is very much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20221108_095547.jpg
    20221108_095547.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
  • 20221108_095637.jpg
    20221108_095637.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • 20221109_050904.jpg
    20221109_050904.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • 20221109_060654.jpg
    20221109_060654.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First return the red bulb, not needed, should be dark at night plus tortoises like things to eat that are red and the bulb may cause him to eat his substrate. Get a ceramic heat emitter for night heat.
Second he needs a 4x8 minimum enclosure as an adult and he looks more like an adult.
The clay saucers are the best water and food dishes.
Also return the double dome fixture they make it harder to use, two lights/heat don't need to be that close to each other.
You need a tube floursecnt uvb bulb, an incandescent flood bulb for basking and a ceramic heat emitter or two depending for added day heat if needed and for night heat.
Russians try to brumate/hibernate this time of year so this may be the reason for not eating and hiding away.
Because you just got him and because of where he came from, not the best place, keep his night temps above 70 and brightly lit in the day time for 12 hours to help keep him up this winter.
Your other temps sound good.

SpikeyBoi

Forrest City, Ar
First return the red bulb, not needed, should be dark at night plus tortoises like things to eat that are red and the bulb may cause him to eat his substrate. Get a ceramic heat emitter for night heat.
Second he needs a 4x8 minimum enclosure as an adult and he looks more like an adult.
The clay saucers are the best water and food dishes.
Also return the double dome fixture they make it harder to use, two lights/heat don't need to be that close to each other.
You need a tube floursecnt uvb bulb, an incandescent flood bulb for basking and a ceramic heat emitter or two depending for added day heat if needed and for night heat.
Russians try to brumate/hibernate this time of year so this may be the reason for not eating and hiding away.
Because you just got him and because of where he came from, not the best place, keep his night temps above 70 and brightly lit in the day time for 12 hours to help keep him up this winter.
Your other temps sound good.
Thank you so much for the advice. They haven't shipped the dual dome or infrared light so I've cancelled those and am going to order the lighting and heating suggested!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
An fyi. The domes needed for the ceramic heat emitter and flood bulb can usually be found cheaper at places like home depot or hardware stores. You just want to make sure the dome is not narrow and it has a ceramic socket.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This is what you want
You would need two. You don't have to use the cage on them.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221109-073150_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20221109-073150_Google.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 3

SpikeyBoi

Forrest City, Ar
An fyi. The domes needed for the ceramic heat emitter and flood bulb can usually be found cheaper at places like home depot or hardware stores. You just want to make sure the dome is not narrow and it has a ceramic socket.

This is what you want
You would need two. You don't have to use the cage on them.
Ok. Thank you so much.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
it can take weeks or months for them to feel comfortable with changes. So much change happening to him right now, he’s going to want to hide to stay safe. Plus he may be wanting to hibernate. Mine took three weeks before he would eat.

im no expert but that looks like shell damage (probably got tossed around when shipped from wherever he was captured). He may be a little traumatized, and needs to chill out.

good luck with him, he’s had a rough start. Read the FAQ on temperate tortoises. It’s a lot but will help you finally give him a good life.