Need help worried about my new Russian tortoise

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
View attachment 198335

This is a Christmas Tree Storage Bin mfg'd by Iris. It's about 4' long. It's about the biggest plastic tub you can buy, and it's still not big enough, but will do until you can build something bigger.

Next - substrate:

View attachment 198339

or:

5k_coir.jpg

(You put it in a bucket of water and it falls apart, then you drain off the water)

Then you'll need feeding tile/slate/cement and waterer:

View attachment 198340

b270fe6f-0cd2-446e-bb6a-ce688617c926_1000.jpg

You can decorate the habitat with plastic plants like these:

View attachment 198341

Indoor tortoises MUST have a good UVB light. You can use one or the other of these (not both):

View attachment 198342

516RwVfneQL._SY355_.jpg

If you house gets colder than 65F at night, you'll need night time heat like this:

41LALgEAwlL.jpg

This is not the only way to set up your new tortoise. It is just examples of what you can do. Take a look through our enclosure section for ideas.
What a FANTASTIC POST!!!! Thank you for putting it together like that: simple, short, sweet and with visuals! Love it!!!!

Soco71

Orange County NY
I just picked this up for my Russian and my Herrmann, it costs about 60 dollars and the plywood for the bottom another 10. Then lined the bottom with plex y glass for easy cleaning, whole thing cost less than $80. If yo only have th 1 Tortoise this is plenty of room it is 4 by 8 feet, will have pics of mine as soon as all the fun stuff is done!

fff69b6a-e163-4685-a232-361d8dc69266_300.jpg

Soco71

Orange County NY
I just picked this up for my Russian and my Herrmann, it costs about 60 dollars and the plywood for the bottom another 10. Then lined the bottom with plex y glass for easy cleaning, whole thing cost less than $80. If yo only have th 1 Tortoise this is plenty of room it is 4 by 8 feet, will have pics of mine as soon as all the fun stuff is done!
Super easy to put together.

Soco71

Orange County NY
@SocoThat looks incredibly simple, I want one! Where did you find that?
I ordered it through home Depot was only $60 the piece slide right together, super easy. Then I just cut a piece of plywood and screwed it to the bottom. If your using it outdoors you won't need the plywood obviously. This one is 4x8ft they have bigger ones.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
How can u tell how old they are? And u dont no what I got in my basement lol so the sooner I upgrade him the happyer my little reznov will be? I really appreciate u guys helping me I thought I read anoffe to no what im doing but now looking at all of this I no nothing it seems lol I just want to be a good mommy to my baby I wish I could post pics of him but my phone wont let me
One cannot tell the age of a tort unless one know the "date of birth" of that tort, so as to speak.

Look forward to seeing pics of your tort and his/her enclosure.

And of course....a very warm welcome to the forum!

ReddyFreddy

5 Year Member
Cedar is pretty much weather proof so it's good wood to use if your keeping your torts outside.

Good to know, cause pressure treated lumber kind of scares me. I`ve heard the new stuff is better, but still.