worried about cold weather for tortoise

sizzet

Location (City and/or State)
Epping
Hi

I have a Hermans tortoise thats has been hibernating through the winter. she is currently in a box in my shed.

I'm about concerned as the temperature has dropped (going to be -4) so not sure what i should do?

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
You need to move it some where warmer, it should not drop below 0 for any amount of time. Even your fridge would be better. It needs to be around 5c minimum really.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi

I have a Hermans tortoise thats has been hibernating through the winter. she is currently in a box in my shed.

I'm about concerned as the temperature has dropped (going to be -4) so not sure what i should do?
Hibernate your tortoise in a temperature controlled fridge, and monitor the temps carefully.

For your current crisis, move the tortoise into a plastic shoe box with some of whatever substrate is under it right now, and put the shoe box in your fridge. Check the fridge temp first and adjust if needed.

Read this for the current and correct care info:

sizzet

Epping
Hibernate your tortoise in a temperature controlled fridge, and monitor the temps carefully.

For your current crisis, move the tortoise into a plastic show box with some of whatever substrate is under it right now, and put the shoe box in your fridge. Check the fridge temp first and adjust if needed.

For your current crisis, move the tortoise into a plastic show box with some of whatever substrate is under it right now, and put the shoe box in your fridge. Check the fridge temp first and adjust if needed.

Thanks for the advice ill do now

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
is a normal card shoe box ok?
When I hibernated Joe in a box I always double boxed. I used a box the size of a small fridge with a smaller box inside that contained Joe.

Get the biggest box you can find and pack it hard with straw. Put the box containing your tortoise in the middle of this box That’s left to right and top to bottom as your tortoise mustn’t be able to get close to the edge. Pack more straw on top.

Put the box some where the temperature is as stable as possible. Our shed got full sun by day and risked getting too warm. We use our garage which also has the advantage of electrical power. I ran a heater in there on a frost stat. If the temperature dips below 4C the heater cuts in.

I also used an indoor/outdoor min/max thermometer with a wireless probe. The probe goes in the box with the tortoise and the main unit on the shelf next to the box. The “indoor” reading is what’s happening in the garage. The”outdoor” reading, gathered by the probe, is the temperature the tortoise is at.

I gave up with box hibernation and switched to fridge hibernation because even double-boxed I couldn’t achieve temperature stability here in Kent thanks to climate change :(