Worried about Tortoise Weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfranklin

5 Year Member
Griffen 4 months.jpgSo Griffen is about 4 months old now. Not sure exactly what his DOB is but he is 3 inches and only 43g. I have been feeding Griffen cactus, kale, radichio and dandelion greens. I do place fresh food out twice a day. But I find he doesnt eat all that much. And compared to other hermanns his age he seems to be very underweight. Should I be worried about 43g at 3 inches?

I live in Alberta, Canada and its cold out this time of year. Griffen has been placed outside on warmer days to get some fresh air and uv.

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Perhaps you can try a spring mix as part of the diet....perhaps a bit more variety....

My post will bump your thread for the others :D

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Is that his entire diet? If so, it needs to be expanded to other quaility greens and weeds along with some vegetables. In doing so you may also find that he is more eager to eat. Along with that what are your tortoises environmental conditions? Temperatures (day, night, basking), light (duration & intensity) and hydration all play an important part in a tortoise's activity level, eating pattern and general health.

rfranklin

5 Year Member
I have been feeding him cactus, kale, radichio and dandelion greens as well as baby romaine and some carrot. There is not alot available in my area. I give calcium everyday and calcium with d-3 everyother day. As for temperatures his basking area is at 85 and the middle of his area is 75 and the opposite end of the basking area is 70 if that all makes sense. And the night time temps are 65. His lights are on about 12 hours a day. Which is the duration I am gone from home. The humidity is always around 80% and I also soak him everyday for about 30 minutes.

I have him in a 40 gallon terrarium right now and I have the sides all covered with black paper. My uncle is building me a tortoise box which is going to be 4x4 which I should have by the end of the month.

What other things can I feed him that would be available in a local grocery store or farmers market?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
The diet possibilities are almost endless. Grocery store greens are okay, but natural weeds would be even better (and are free). Cactus has some good nutrional value but is also has a very high water content. As does Romaine. Other foods that have a high fiber content need to be fed along with these foods.
The basking area needs to be warmer a bit warmer to, around 90-100 degrees. If possible there should be about a 15-20 degree difference in temperature from day to night. His lights also need to be on about 14-16 hours a day. Light duration of 12 hours daily is late fall and very early spring duration. For your tortoise to remain active it needs to think that it's summer when days are bright and long.

Status
Not open for further replies.