Worried about aspiration in sulcata

Sib

5 Year Member
I am concerned that my 4 year old sulcata might have aspirated some water. She had urates in her soaking water a couple days ago and when I took her out of the water she had urates on her nose and her whole face was wet. She always tries to eat anything white and I am thinking she tried to eat her own urates while soaking. Would that cause her to aspirate some of the water if she is trying to eat her urates and putting her whole face or head under water while soaking in water. She is now making a clicking noise again like she did a few month ago when she needed antibiotics for a respiratory infection. She has been doing good and had no more problems after the antibiotics a couple month ago until this urates eating episode. I do keep a cuttlebone in her enclosure at all times.
Sib

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
No, I really doubt the tortoise has aspirated. When they drink, they submerge their whole face into the water and actually drink through their nose and mouth. Don't know what to say about the clicking, but if you're worried about it, raise the temperature in the habitat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with Yvonne if it helps to have two people say the same thing.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
It is common to hear healthy tortoises breath. They also make snapping and popping sounds quite a bit too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is common to hear healthy tortoises breath. They also make snapping and popping sounds quite a bit too.

I don't wish to be contentious here, (well maybe a little...) but none of my tortoises make any snapping or popping sounds. I can hear them exhale if they pull their head in quickly, but no noise other than air moving.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong...