My Sovi has a swollen tail and yellowish brown urates

Tiff

5 Year Member
She is not eating much. Her urates have been the same for over a month. I soak her at least three times a week. She has proper uva / heat. She has free rang in my basement. She shows no sign of a respiratory infection. She is soaking right now and went to bathroom and her tail is still swollen.

Also I should note is that we have a new addition to the family, a greek male tortoise that I belive is a juvenile. Also I was feeding sovi repi cal pellet food as her main diet. I found out that fruit should not be feed to russian torts.

She is making strange noses from her nose while in the water. I can hear her breath like she is congested. She puts her head under water and picks her head back up and pushes the water out her nose.

Tiff

5 Year Member
She pooping a lot right now. Some look like solid and some is strange looking.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Did you put the new Greek tortoise in with Sovi?

M

Maggie Cummings

When you say "she has free range in my basement" makes me think she's walking on a cold floor and never gets to see the sun. How fresh is your UVB light? FYI... you should never mix species even if they do come from the same Continent. Each species has it's own pathogens that could make the other species sick or dead.
You should ALWAYS quarantine a new animal for 4 to 6 months alone away from your other animals.
Sounds to me like she's sick because of how she's kept or the new tortoise gave her something. I'd be taking her to the Vet and making her a more suitable habitat.
Why don't you post some photos of your basement, so we can see if I am wrong ,if it's better than I think. And please don't get offended, I am only trying to help your tortoise...I don't mean any disrespect

Tiff

5 Year Member
Did you put the new Greek tortoise in with Sovi?
Yes, I'm read that it's a bad idea. I got the geek at petsmart. I felt so bad for him there was no uva light for him. I was told he came from another person's home. I have seen were people do keep other types of tortoises together. My russian seemed territorial when introduced the greek into the fam. Now sovi does not act that way at all to the greek. Do you think it's because she is not feeling well or did she change how she feels about him?

Tiff

5 Year Member
When you say "she has free range in my basement" makes me think she's walking on a cold floor and never gets to see the sun. How fresh is your UVB light? FYI... you should never mix species even if they do come from the same Continent. Each species has it's own pathogens that could make the other species sick or dead.
You should ALWAYS quarantine a new animal for 4 to 6 months alone away from your other animals.
Sounds to me like she's sick because of how she's kept or the new tortoise gave her something. I'd be taking her to the Vet and making her a more suitable habitat.
Why don't you post some photos of your basement, so we can see if I am wrong ,if it's better than I think. And please don't get offended, I am only trying to help your tortoise...I don't mean any disrespect
Your thinking of an old musty basement. ...no, it's a room just like any other part of the house that is used daily. I have had sovi since 2011.

I do think you are putting yourself off this way because you think I don't care about my tortoise. ....I would not be on the forum asking for help if I didn't care. I seem to bring the worse out in people.

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
That posted before I was done lol

Please don't think they are attacking you. These

Luke&Lou

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Tortoises shouldn't be walking around on the floor. Its dangerous and unsanitary.
Again, may we request pictures of this basement?

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
Ok that's twice it posted on its own. Third times a charm.

Please don't take offense or too personal anything they are saying. It isn't meant to be an attack on you at all. They just have the overall well being of your torts in mind. I'm sure they want nothing more than for you to be the happiest tort owner you can be. Some of these people that Take time and respond with information have many years of experience with tortoise care and husbandry. I'm a new tort caregiver myself and when I asked questions I took their advice to heart. I promise that if you are to follow their instructions not only will your job as caregiver become easier your tortoises will become happier and healthier for it.

All that being said I really hope you and your little buddies get your question resolved and I'm glad you found your way to the forum.

Luke&Lou

Tiff

5 Year Member
Ok that's twice it posted on its own. Third times a charm.

Please don't take offense or too personal anything they are saying. It isn't meant to be an attack on you at all. They just have the overall well being of your torts in mind. I'm sure they want nothing more than for you to be the happiest tort owner you can be. Some of these people that Take time and respond with information have many years of experience with tortoise care and husbandry. I'm a new tort caregiver myself and when I asked questions I took their advice to heart. I promise that if you are to follow their instructions not only will your job as caregiver become easier your tortoises will become happier and healthier for it.

All that being said I really hope you and your little buddies get your question resolved and I'm glad you found your way to the forum.

Luke&Lou
Thanks,

I do not like confining my babies to a container. My yellow foot has to because of the humidity and high temp she needs. But for my russian and greek can prefer arid conditions with similar requirements. Since bringing my greek home he has thrived. My russian has had yellow / brown urates before I got him. Also I think he is domestic raise and not from the wild. Sovi on the other hand may have been captured from the wild. Why I think this is that she had almost no pyramiding.

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
Thanks,

I do not like confining my babies to a container. My yellow foot has to because of the humidity and high temp she needs. But for my russian and greek can prefer arid conditions with similar requirements. Since bringing my greek home he has thrived. My russian has had yellow / brown urates before I got him. Also I think he is domestic raise and not from the wild. Sovi on the other hand may have been captured from the wild. Why I think this is that she had almost no pyramiding.
I am no expert by any means about to

Luke&Lou

Tiff

5 Year Member
Tortoises shouldn't be walking around on the floor. Its dangerous and unsanitary.
Again, may we request pictures of this basement?
I'm confused. ..don't they poop in an enclosure? My floor can be sanitized but an enclosure not so much. Sorry I do not want to keep my tortoise in some small container I love that they have free rang confined to one room. Dangerous how?

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Who says enclosures are small? My Russian area is 13'x10'..
Maybe @Tom can further elaborate. I'm rushed for time at the moment. But if stuff falls, you don't use the right cleaning products, etc, an enclosure is WAY safer.

Tiff

5 Year Member
I'm confused. ..don't they poop in an enclosure? My floor can be sanitized but an enclosure not so much. Sorry I do not want to keep my tortoise in some small container I love that they have free rang confined to one room. Dangerous how?
Pics of what, her lamp and water bowl set up. She has uva and heat in all in one bulb. A taricotta dish for soaking.

I do have other pets in the same room with them.

Conure - caged but roams free...sometimes on the floor.

Dog

Yellow foot- in closed chamber tank.

150 gal. Tank housing red eared slider.

My cat sometimes walks in the room to try and find trouble.

Tiff

5 Year Member
Pics of what, her lamp and water bowl set up. She has uva and heat in all in one bulb. A taricotta dish for soaking.

I do have other pets in the same room with them.

Conure - caged but roams free...sometimes on the floor.

Dog

Yellow foot- in closed chamber tank.

150 gal. Tank housing red eared slider.

My cat sometimes walks in the room to try and find trouble.
The vet never told me worried about my green iguana infecting my other kids, he had a repitory infection and kidney disease and was put to sleep in December. He was 14 years old. :(.

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
I don't know why it keeps doing that.

Anyways. I am not an expert on tortoise care since I only just fell into caring for my little pal Lou a couple months ago. I do however spend more time than I like to admit reading threads of all types on this forum. Some things that I have seen stressed over and and over again are these. Every species of tortoise has it's own environment and climate types. Even if two species can be found in relatively close proximity in the wild they still have unique sub climates. Also as a general rule of thumb tortoises are solitary creatures they do not need companions or friends like so many think. Even I would not have known that if I hadn't read about it here. Because of these reasons and I'm sure many more it is very ill advised to keep different species in the same enclosure. Each of your torts needs their own space and their own domain to be queen/king of. I have also seen it stressed that anytime a new tortoise is brought into the house they should be quarantined for 3-6 months. A new tort no matter where they are purchased or rescued or picked up from have the potential to carry parasites viruses and other nasties that can harm your existing torts. Another reason it is important to keep different species separated is that one may carry somehing that the other would never naturally encounter and I could potentially kill it. Again I am no where close to anyone with any sort of substantial knowledge of tortoise care I just take the advice of those who have experience to heart and spend time reading an rereading threads and other information i have found on this forum. No one wants to discourage you or push you away everyone here only wants to help you and you little friends achieve the best life possible.

Luke&Lou

Tiff

5 Year Member
Who says enclosures are small? My Russian area is 13'x10'..
Maybe @Tom can further elaborate. I'm rushed for time at the moment. But if stuff falls, you don't use the right cleaning products, etc, an enclosure is WAY safer.
I live in DC we don't have big houses here....that would impossible to do here. I have rooms that are smaller than that. That's why I'm saying a small enclosure.