Wood from outside

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I take rocks from outdoors and sterilize them for use in my cages all the time. I'm thinking I want to get some wood from outside and do the same. Is there anything I should or should not look for? any certain kinds of trees/wood I need to avoid?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Likely want to avoid Cedar or Pine in an enclosed/closed in space...I would be sure to really give the wood a few look overs to make sure you are not bringing in any funky critters...:p

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Oh, yeah. I was going to put it in the oven on a low heat for half an hour.

Laura Currado

5 Year Member
Oakland County, MI
I threw some Maple branches into my oven the lowest setting for 20 minutes; read a lot and that was the consensus minimum. Made my whole house smell like a smoker (which is why I stopped at 20 minutes) and 5-months later, each day when I spray the gecko vivarium, it still smells like burnt wood. Alternative was that I bring in bugs or disease... Try waiting 'til Spring when you can open your windows to bake wood or researching natural soaks instead.
Some people think that freezing wood kills anything, but living so far north, things have adapted to freezing temperatures and likely wouldn't die.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Yeah, I'm not far from you. I'm in the Cleveland area, so that might be a problem here too. I'm wondering about boiling though, if it's small enough. When I buy those half logs from the petstore for lizards, I boil them in water on the stovetop first. That works. I had to do that because once when I bought a new one the gecko enclosure ended up with wood lice. Boiling the half log took care of that problem.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I like driftwood because it has been in water then baked by the sun. I rinse it off well, and leave it in the rain on rocks then let the sun dry it again.
As far as rocks from the outside, just rinse them off; you can run them through the dishwasher if you want.:D