Mweigel

Location (City and/or State)
Oneonta
Hello everyone. So I’m having an issue with legs in my tortoise table that keeps the second level up. Can I use fire hardened wood? From my understanding fire hardened wood won’t grow mold but I was unsure if it was ok for a hermanns tortoise. I was going to use plastic but can’t find solid plastic to drill into. Suggestions and insight would be appreciated. The image is the wood stilts I want to replace hopefully with fire hardened wood if you guys think it’s ok

Michelle

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 24

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone. So I’m having an issue with legs in my tortoise table that keeps the second level up. Can I use fire hardened wood? From my understanding fire hardened wood won’t grow mold but I was unsure if it was ok for a hermanns tortoise. I was going to use plastic but can’t find solid plastic to drill into. Suggestions and insight would be appreciated. The image is the wood stilts I want to replace hopefully with fire hardened wood if you guys think it’s ok

Michelle
I've never heard of "fire hardened wood". Do you mean kiln dried? In any case, untreated wood will not last forever.

Use a piece of PVC pipe. They sell pipe and cutters pretty cheap at Home Depot. Easy to use too. The cutters are like big scissors. Anyone can do it. :) You could use the gray stuff that is meant for electrical applications for this too, if you don't like the look of the white pipe.

Mweigel

Oneonta
I've never heard of "fire hardened wood". Do you mean kiln dried? In any case, untreated wood will not last forever.

Use a piece of PVC pipe. They sell pipe and cutters pretty cheap at Home Depot. Easy to use too. The cutters are like big scissors. Anyone can do it. :) You could use the gray stuff that is meant for electrical applications for this too, if you don't like the look of the white pipe.
The problem with pipe is it’s hollow and I can’t screw it to the bottom of the second level. I have some and I’ve been trying to attach different thing to it so I can screw into it but nothing sticks. I did epoxy and that even broke apart.
So fire hardened wood is where you burn the wood until it blackens then you scrub the wood until all the ash comes off. I don’t know if that’s the same as kiln dried

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings.

as Yossarian said, PVC cap ends are your ticket. Get the appropriate size PVC cap, screw that into your upper (and lower level) then put your legs into the cap. Solid.

➡️ Lowes PVC cap sample - https://www.lowes.com/pd/PVC-3-in-dia-PVC-Hub-Cap-Fitting/3446746

The “fire method” is not the same as kiln dried..

➡️➡️ Originating in 18th century Japan, shou sugi ban is a particularly striking method of preserving wood by charring it with fire. Traditionally, this practice is used with Japanese cedar in order to weatherproof it. The wood is burned until the surface is charred, and then coated with natural oil.

This would be way too much work....for your purposes.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I did that with my chicken coop but it is way too ashy. My hands were black from working with it.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT

Michelle
I too have a second level in my Russian tortoise’s PVC enclosure. I created a free standing platform using PVC board. The legs are PVC pipe that are inserted into PVC caps that were attached to the underside of the platform using PVC glue. It was incredibly simple and impervious to moisture.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
lowes carry these and you can screw into them
$5.93

0.75-in x 1.5-in x 8-ft PVC Trim Board​

Item #66646Model #07832
  • Proudly made in the USA
  • Lifetime rot-free warranty
  • Boards are reversible with a smooth side and a textured side to resemble wood