Wondering why you can't let the Russians and Sulcatas mingle?

Tortaholic

5 Year Member
I was reading up in the forums here about Sulcatas, I'm thinking about getting one but I have 3 adult Russians and 2 more in the incubator. I come across a topic that mentioned not mixing Russians and Sullys, but it really didn't go into detail of why it's not allowed? I'm hoping someone can fill me in on why?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Well, just to hit a little on a couple things. One being size difference. One being the different housing requirements and one being the pathogens/diseases that they could spread to each other.

Oh, btw, the housing requirements for the sully. Please read Toms threads below in my post for proper housing, temps, humidity for raising a smooth, healthy sully.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
In addition, both species have a very tenacious attitude.....also, you will not know sex of all involved until older/larger...what if you end up with a posse of males....males + attitude= bad, especially for the russians....

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
He main reason why they shouldn't mix is because they will fight, sometimes to the death! Both species are aggressive and territorial. It would only be a matter of time and opportunity. If you care about your animals, you wouldn't put them at harms way.

Tortaholic

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice, things I will definitely take into consideration. I have done some research but had never come across that issue before. I understand the huge difference in size, the one I'm looking at is around 6 months, so I would have a bit of time to work with its needs for space.

I've had the 3 Russians for around a year now, Mort is in an enclosure by himself, then Shella and George are a mated pair and do great together by themselves. The new sully would be in an enclosure of its own and wouldn't be around the others. But is that still too close?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The new sully would be in an enclosure of its own and wouldn't be around the others. But is that still too close?

If the tort is in its own yard/enclosure separate from the others then you should be aok....they just should avoid sharing the same space...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All of the above reasons are valid, but my main reason against THIS particular pairing is that russians are known to be carriers of all sort of badies and most of them are wild caught imports, so they brought lots of their little hitchhikers with them. The russians cannot be examined by a vet and declared "clean". They carry many of these thing asymptomatically and they are often difficult to diagnose, meaning; a simple fecal exam will not see most of these things and neither will a vet looking at the tortoise.

Further, sulcatas are not usually aggressive at 6 months old, but russians that same size usually are. Behaviorally they are just different species from different continents and they have no business in the same enclosure.

Tortaholic

5 Year Member
There would be no reason to put them in the same enclosure, I'd make sure of it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Now onto another subject...

Lets hear more about your Russians and eggs! :D Another thread perhaps? If you successfully hatch out babies, we are really going to need to see lots of pics and hear all the details. I'm pretty sure that is a forum requirement.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
mike taylor said:
Indeed it is Tom!

I will be third on this................................All detail. Please...

Tortaholic

5 Year Member
Tom said:

Lets hear more about your Russians and eggs! :D Another thread perhaps? If you successfully hatch out babies, we are really going to need to see lots of pics and hear all the details. I'm pretty sure that is a forum requirement.

I can do that. :D lol

Tortaholic

5 Year Member
Tortaholic said:
Tom said:

I can do that. :D lol

Done, I put it in the RT section. :) I also have vids of the eggs being candled on youtube under TwistedWhispers2 if you want to look them up. :)

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I once tried to put my Russian and sulcata together. In 45 minutes, my Russian bit my 5.5 pound sulcata 4 times in the hind legs, 2 times in the arms, and 2 times in the shell. My sulcata is so much larger, he couldn't get Away fast enough. I did not enjoy trying this. I separated them 4-5 times but my russian will go after the sulcata most of the time. It's crazy how much dominance is naturally in animals.

I'm going to try and make the video upload. Here's my first attempt

Attempt # 2

http://s39.photobucket.com/user/myn...6-45D6-B171-0D009FC11035_zps7bc44b39.mp4.html

IT worked for me, so I hope it does you guys.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Blake m said:
I once tried to put my Russian and sulcata together. In 45 minutes, my Russian bit my 5.5 pound sulcata 4 times in the hind legs, 2 times in the arms, and 2 times in the shell. My sulcata is so much larger, he couldn't get Away fast enough. I did not enjoy trying this. I separated them 4-5 times but my russian will go after the sulcata most of the time. It's crazy how much dominance is naturally in animals.

Why would you do this? And once you saw it was a problem, why would you let it continue for 45 minutes?

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Tom said:
Blake m said:

Why would you do this? And once you saw it was a problem, why would you let it continue for 45 minutes?

I did not let interaction occur after this one video. I mentioned it occurring for 45 minutes as an example. After I noticed this terrible occurrence, I kept my Russian in his terrarium as I had been doing. I wanted to see what would happen. Sorry again to everyone who saw it. Again, I did not enjoy this 15 seconds.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Beyond what I showed with interaction of different species, the end result is that no species should EVER be mixed. Not just with defiance and dominance, but illness can occur in many ways. So, just don't mix. There's no justification needed.