Why did you choose Sulcata?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerTheTortoise

5 Year Member
Hey everyone! I was thinking about all the different torts and I'm wondering why you choose a sully over all other torts and animals!

I love getting new pets! And the more exotic/abnormal the better! I have a beardie and cockatiel and used to have ferrets : ) and a savannah monitor.
When I saw this 2 month sully at a local exotic pet store I HAD to have him. So my boyfriend and I went home and did all kinds of research, planned everything out and went back and bought him! And I could not be more happy with the lil guy!!

Yall's turn!! : )

B

byerssusan

Well when I first starting thinking about a torotise was a few months back. I have raised and owned many many different animals. Box turtles even when smaller. I am not what hit me when I first thought hey I want a tortoise. So I started looking ..first on craigslist..then after seeing all the diff tortoises there are..I researched a little...and decided to chose the Sulcata because they do not hibernate. Also the obvious they are just so darn cute.

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bonifay, FL
I chose a Sulcata for a few reasons, first of all as babies they are just OMG so cute, and I love that they get so large, also their personality, really if u have the space they are the best all around.. i was literally obsessed with tortoises before I finally got my baby Sulcata just a little over a week ago.. For the past many months all my free time has gone into preparing and learning about the care for Sulcatas. I had many years experience with raising water turtles when I lived with my X, him and I had many water turtles, many species we had raised from hatchling to large adults, when we split of course the turtles stayed with him, in their pond, so after being on my own so to say for a few years i have now started over with my own hatchlings, I have 6 water turtles ranging from hatchlings to yearlings and had always wanted to have a tortoise so I got my Sully and already day dreaming about what i may get next, lol, it will be at the very least a few years before I get either another turtle or tortoise but it will happen.. thinking maybe going with the smaller species, something I can keep inside threw its life time but not sure

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
because they are cool! living dinosours, BIG, I cant afford a Aldabra and a Galop and there are many big ones avail thru rescue..
Perfect fit for me!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
For me it was love at first sight! I saw his picture and I felt there was something special about this big sweet looking tortoise that needed a new home. It turned out I was right :). He is amazing which encourages me to strive to be a better keeper because he deserves so much.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I had always loved tortoises. I had been working in pet stores with them for several years before I saw my first sulcata. It was love at first sight. This guy walked into our pet shop carrying a tub full of hatchling leopards and sulcatas. I had to have one. That was 1991.

I chose, and continue to choose them, because:
1. Personality. Second to none.
2. Hardiness and ease of care. They are very hardy and adaptable. They thrive in the AZ desert or in the Florida everglades. I tend to stay away from species that are thought to be "delicate", shy, or difficult. Sulcatas are easy. Their first year or so is a little labor intensive, but they are really pretty easy after that.
3. According to the books back then, and my experience now, my climate is great for them and they can live outside year round here as adults. I like animals that can live outside with a proper set up, of course.
4. Ease of feeding. They eat a lot, BUT, its pretty easy to find the right stuff and in quantity. Plain old grass hay for horses suits the big ones just fine. Everything they get in addition to that is a bonus. Cactus pads, weeds, grass, mulberry leaves... All stuff that is free or really cheap and easy to find. Also, they usually aren't too picky. Mine will eat almost anything.
5. Appearance. I love the look of them. I like the color and the "spikeyness" of their legs. I like the regal way they hold their big heads up. If they only grew to 10 pounds I would still love them, but I do think the 100 pounders are pretty neat too.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Sulcatas have the expressive, most charming faces! It's hard not to resist their cuteness.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
I understand Sulcatas in the southern US. They can be outside all year with some work.

Anyone with a Sulcata anywhere that normally get snow that stays for more than a few days is crazy to have a Sulcata, unless of course they have enough room for a 75 plus pound walking bulldozer in your house. I look forward to the responses.

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
Lol, I dont know many people who have room in the house for a large Sulcata, and even in the basement they can be very destructive, its kinda funny how they will literally walk threw something instead of going around it, even my baby does this, constantly trampling his little weather reader.. If I had to have an adult indoors for anytime of the year I may would have some 2nd guessing my species of choice but here in Florida, well I've never even seen real snow

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I wanted a native desert tort but did not want all the strings and rules attached. So I got a Sulcata instead. And the rest were just looking for homes.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
The next tortoise I want to get is a sulcata. I love their personality and outgoing manner. I also love the fact that they get big.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
jackrat said:
The next tortoise I want to get is a sulcata. I love their personality and outgoing manner. I also love the fact that they get big.

I got you covered! How many do you want? 10? 24? :D

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Tom said:
jackrat said:

Easy,Tom! It's gonna be a major thing for me ,getting that first one. I want everything built and ready before I get one.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
fbsmith3 said:
I understand Sulcatas in the southern US. They can be outside all year with some work.

Anyone with a Sulcata anywhere that normally get snow that stays for more than a few days is crazy to have a Sulcata, unless of course they have enough room for a 75 plus pound walking bulldozer in your house. I look forward to the responses.

I have 5... Does that make me certifiable? ;)

I understand however what you are saying. I don't think that Sulcatas are for everyone, and that includes those in southern states as well. Just because people in warmer climates are able to put them outside does not mean that all the other aspects of their care will be correct.

I don't however agree that no one in the northern US should own Sulcatas. Two of mine were produced by a fellow forum member, Kevin (kbaker) right here in the state of Michigan. They are gorgeous, healthy babies, and were in great condition when I received them. All of that attests to Kevin's ability to take excellent care of both his adults and their progeny. Is it a labor of love, and does it take some dedication? You betcha. I have maintained larger Sullies indoors through the winter (although not full grown) and it isn't easy - but it is possible.

Now, to the original question - their size, majesty, and beauty is what made me want to own a Sulcata. That and the challenge of growing a smooth and healthy animal. (Just smooth isn't good enough ;) ) I want to look at my Sullies in 10 years and have full grown, gorgeous animals that rival wild caught animals in looks and vigor, and also be able to help others do the same, through my triumphs and errors.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
I would really like one and if one comes along as a rescue I would take it.
Just wary of their indoor space needs. As for Summer we have 39 acres land, endless hay, pasture etc, its just the Winter that concerns me.

I would dedicate a room for one if I had one but that means a lot of clutter clearing to do that.

Dreaming of a purpose built heated tortoise barn-keep dreaming Louise!!!!

I love the Sulcatta size, scaly legs, expressions etc-very nice.

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
Tom said:
jackrat said:

I want one of your torts Tom, will be looking in the next few months, after the holidays and all and of course after I successfully raise my hatchling.. I'd love a Leopard tort

rubbermate

5 Year Member
I bought my sullie amost 5 yrs ago I new kinda what I was getting into as to how big they get but everything else was a learning experience it goliath was the last hatchling in the tank after all his siblings got sold and he looked so sad and all cutes so I bought him now almost 5 yrs later hes still cute and follows me around my house

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
I picked a sulcata after seeing one at a flea market. It was a small one. I remember watching it eat and walk around. I just loved everything about it and how it did everything. I think I stood there for about an hour, lol. A couple of months later a co-worker told me that he knew a breeder after I told him of the tortoise that I seen a while ago. It must have been fate! After talking to the breeder about everything that I would need I was hooked. The next day I took home Bowser :D

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I picked Cooper because our friends have a 50 pound sully named George and we went there and I would feed him and he would do his best to crawl all 50 pounds of himself in my lap and I fell in love with him. So after some research and knowing what I was getting into I got my best buddy Cooper. I live in Indiana and I am perfectly able to give him whatever he needs. And when we do get our new house Cooper will even have his own room for the cold months. He is already about 700 grams and 11 months old and almost 7 inchs long. I don't care if he get 200 pounds, until I pass he will always have everything he needs. I will say 1 thing, I will be sad when he is to big to be up on the waterbed with me. We always have a good sleep together. But at that time we can just lay on the floor and watch tv and sleep! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.