Winterizing habitat for warm climates

aztortoisegal

Specifically tortoise owners in Southwestern Arizona, is there anything special I need to do for my outdoor habitat, before it starts cooling down for the winter? It does not freeze here, although it can get cold at night. Should I dig a deeper burrow for my six inch Sulcata, or let him figure out what to do? I hear that some people put them in a shoe box wrapped in newspaper and tuck them away for the coldest months to allow them to hibernate. That sounds...scary.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California

aztortoisegal

Thank you both! Let's see, I would say coldest day time temp is about 65, gets down to forties at night. It's barely a winter as far as I'm concerned, for humans anyways.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
That would be too cold for your baby. Either bring him in or build the heated night box like Tom suggested.

M

Maggie Cummings

Too cold outside day or night for a 6" baby....they don't hibernate, he'll need to be set up inside with a basking light, and the works....

aztortoisegal

Alrighty, I'll be moving him indoors then soon. So, when will he not be considered a baby anymore? I can't tell you when he was born, I can only give his size. Any help on that front that you could offer?

M

Maggie Cummings

Alrighty, I'll be moving him indoors then soon. So, when will he not be considered a baby anymore? I can't tell you when he was born, I can only give his size. Any help on that front that you could offer?

Naw, his size would depend on his care sorta. I would say he's not a year old yet and he's been kept pretty dry.
I take back what I said about a UVB light for him. As sunny as it is in Arizona, just make sure he gets a few hours of sun a week and you can set him up inside for the cold times and would just need a basking light for warmth, he wouldn't need a UVB bulb...When tortoises are a year old they are 'yearlings' but they're still babies and need special care. To me your guy will be a baby for another year probably. Depends on how fast he grows, I'd feed him twice a day...

aztortoisegal

Thanks! Another piece of advice I was given before I started doing my own research was not to bother feeding him everyday. Every other day was good enough. ((SIGH)) I mix up a bowl of greens and grasses for him everyday.

aztortoisegal

I want my little guy to eventually eat nothing but I grow for him. Unfortunately, most of the year, it's too dang hot to keep anything alive. Say...does everyone recommend the blend of seeds I've been coming across advertised as tortoise blend? I'm sure you're aware of it, someone has to be. It's time to plant if I want anything to survive for a good five months or so. I just had an idea, I better start a new thread for it. :D

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I want my little guy to eventually eat nothing but I grow for him. Unfortunately, most of the year, it's too dang hot to keep anything alive. Say...does everyone recommend the blend of seeds I've been coming across advertised as tortoise blend? I'm sure you're aware of it, someone has to be. It's time to plant if I want anything to survive for a good five months or so. I just had an idea, I better start a new thread for it. :D
Lots of plants survive heat: aloe, purslane, agave, opuntia, petunias, figs, mulberry, cucumber, melon, and lots of other plants. Just check your gardening zone and pick the correct time to plant!