Upgraded habitat for less then 70$

Camirdra

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WA
Love your new setup! I may have to copy it on a larger scale in my garage for the winter. We moved into a new house and I had to keep my 3 leopards in the extra bathroom.... That was a messy endeavor, gross!!! This looks easy enough to do and I like that the lights are attached to the box itself rather than suspended from the ceiling. Well done :)

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
Thank you. I'll be posting the construction to the second level to his home in here soon as I finish it. And if you duplicate it bigger the second level will be super legit. My turtle loves to see over the barrier of the box I made. I think he feels comfortable looking out of the box at me while I am in my room. Also there are 2 pieces of wood on the sides that's are angled that allow for different light mounting positions as I see fit. Cuz as the seasons change so does the need for the distance between the light and box

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
UPDATE***So after much analysis .. I have decided to not build a second layer to his habitat . The second level would be too close to the lights and I have to raise the back sections up for it to work. He will be getting a new habitat built in spring which will be 3x6 taking up my entire wall. It will include a second level.

I did make modifications and different placement of the lights for security and practical purposes.

I added insulation to the panels and raised the ambient temperature by almost 10 degrees in spots! Check it out !

Attachments

• 1415921694174.jpg
    1415921694174.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 1415921719284.jpg
    1415921719284.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 63

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
I have redone nibbles enclosure once again . It now looks like this. :)

Attachments

• 1425944772240.jpg
    1425944772240.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 47

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
I like the idea of 2-bys instead of plywood sides. Because it takes much less carpentry skill and maybe fewer tools. Plus if he scratches on the walls at night, i imagine the thicker wood muffles the sound a little.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
It looks very nice. I like plans in enclosures it makes it look more natural. The higher the walls are the easier it is to keep the temperatures in as well as partially covering the top also.

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
I used the same insulation and it works great! It's nice that it is water proof as well.

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
I like the idea of 2-bys instead of plywood sides. Because it takes much less carpentry skill and maybe fewer tools. Plus if he scratches on the walls at night, i imagine the thicker wood muffles the sound a little.

Yes it does muffle it way better. I had a single ply wall for my first but it was super loud and man it was echoey too. But he rarely is scratching so I don't even notice honestly or I have become use to it lol.