Winter supplements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central FL
So Frank is outside, doing well. He eats our blend of grasses in the yard, aloe, weeds, etc. We also feed him Hibiscus flowers and leaves as a treat. I also have to be sure and clean up after the dogs or he will eat that, too. :p

Once or twice weekly I give him collards sprinkled with calcium. That is the only supplement he gets in addition to the yard. I've tried ZooMed Grassland diet hidden in a hibiscus leaf and he spit that out. I didn't necessarily want to purchase Mazuri if he will have the same reaction. Does he need anything else added to his diet?

BTW, Frank is 15" and 15lbs, maybe 6-8yo.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
15" and 15#.... thats kind light! Walking rock is 24" and 75#.... I would expect 15" to be atleast 25-30#. Dont get me wrong Frank looks great but only 15#?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think your routine sounds perfect! I would not change a thing.

About the Mazuri: Its not like the ZooMed stuff at all. Most of them like it and it can be mixed in with greens too. I use it once or twice a week to insure that there are no subtle nutrient deficiencies in their diet. Also gives them some much needed protein. Yes, protein. They need SOME protein, just not a lot and not from animal sources. However, you could certainly raise a healthy sulcata without ever using any.

On the calcium: I think what you are doing right now is perfect. However, since Frank is a boy, I don't think you will need much Ca supplementation when he is all grown up. Especially not with the excellent feeding regime that you are using. Just something to think about for down the road.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
For species which are typically active during the winter months (almost all of my current animals), I feed them richer items. More fruits and fleshier vegetables than most folks typically give. No runny stools or anything, but perhaps this is because I offer them a wide variety of items, so curve balls may not be so disruptive. Mazuri often for the babies and juveniles. Daily for the babies and almost (if not) daily for the juveniles. Anything younger than an adult has ad libitum access to plants growing in their enclosures, too. I have ended up having to give my "red sticks" to my adult sulcatas, as they are the only ones who are willing to eat them these days. I supplement with Minerall and vitamins to round out the micronutrients.

When they are warm enough to be outside, they eat primarily grasses, flowers, whatever weeds might creep in (not many). Also, whatever creatures and small carcasses they happen upon from the local predators are eaten as well as animal waste. As my girlfriend's garden develops each year, the larger animals either grab the low-hanging crops with necks extended or try to break in (they cannot actually break in, but if they congregate, one can sometimes climb upon the rest to get over the barrier). She also treats them to a large part of what grows, as she gardens for fun and without pesticides.

I spread calcium on the ground/lawn in the beginning of the year, too, since plants cannot incorporate minerals that are not present.

Frank seems light for that size to me, but you know your animals best.

Roxie

5 Year Member
Central FL
Thanks guys. I'm not surprised Frank is light for his size. He was a rescue that came to me from Long Island Tort Rescue. He has a lot of pyramiding and I'm sure that is where the weight has been lost through the years. I had to go weigh him again and he is now 16 pounds. So he has gained a pound since he's been here with me. If I have my dates correct, he just got here in early October or so.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I am glad to read he is gaining well since coming under your care.

Roxie

5 Year Member
Central FL
Thanks so much. We just adore him. He loves his treats so he comes up to us in the yard for a collard leaf, flower, and a head scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.