Wild carrot?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
I’ve had this in my yard for a while, but always thought it was something toxic. Recently, though, I decided to uproot one, and I realized that it could be carrot. I took a very small nibble of a (clean) root, and it does taste like one.
What do you guys think?
IMG_2677.jpgIMG_2678.jpg

Last edited:

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Sure does look like carrot. How does it taste?
Carroty. It doesn’t have the purple splotches associated with hemlock and it doesn’t smell musty when crushed, but it also doesn’t have the hairy stem commonly seen with carrots. I think I leaning towards carrots, though, because they’re a lot shorter than hemlock usually is, although that could be because they’re young.

Last edited:

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Alright, I think I’m going with carrots. They smell and taste like carrots, and if it had been hemlock, I would have experienced some side effects from touching it, let alone eating it, by now, lol

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Hemlock would be pretty tall by now and honestly now that I know what hemlock looks like it, it looks very different than carrot to me. The stems get thicker and it develops more obviously branch-like bits.

If it smells like carrots, I think you already nailed it.

My tortoise won’t eat wild or domesticated carrot so I wish you luck!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Hemlock would be pretty tall by now and honestly now that I know what hemlock looks like it, it looks very different than carrot to me. The stems get thicker and it develops more obviously branch-like bits.

If it smells like carrots, I think you already nailed it.

My tortoise won’t eat wild or domesticated carrot so I wish you luck!

Yeah, Curtis took a few excited bites, and then left it. We’ll see if he eats the rest, lol