Wild Carrot?

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz, CA
Any experience feeding wild carrot? Tortoise table says no, but I think they are basing their opinion on how certain humans react to the plant. Can't be positive what species it is yet, but I'm guessing I have what is commonly called Queen Anne's Lace. Thanks for any info.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Any experience feeding wild carrot? Tortoise table says no, but I think they are basing their opinion on how certain humans react to the plant. Can't be positive what species it is yet, but I'm guessing I have what is commonly called Queen Anne's Lace. Thanks for any info.

Just be sure it is not poison hemlock....Super poisoness....queen Anne lace is edible.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I know the Tortoise Table is conservative but sometimes I'm just not sure what to make of the warnings. There are plenty of plants in the same plant family—Apiaceae—that are okay in small quanties or in moderation (cilantro, dill, fennel tops, angelica, etc.).

Under their entry for lovage, however, it says all members of the Apiaceae family contain coumarins and should be avoided, although a bite or two won't hurt.

No doubt this would be easier if I were a botanist! :)

It doesn't grow in my area so I will leave the advice to the more experienced owners.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I know the Tortoise Table is conservative but sometimes I'm just not sure what to make of the warnings. There are plenty of plants in the same plant family—Apiaceae—that are okay in small quanties or in moderation (cilantro, dill, fennel tops, angelica, etc.).

Under their entry for lovage, however, it says all members of the Apiaceae family contain coumarins and should be avoided, although a bite or two won't hurt.

No doubt this would be easier if I were a botanist! :)

It doesn't grow in my area so I will leave the advice to the more experienced owners.

Pretty limited on tortoisetable.. Sometimes it is more productive to simply research a plants toxicity and or edible values instead of the reliance strictly on tortoise table....

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Pretty limited on tortoisetable.. Sometimes it is more productive to simply research a plants toxicity and or edible values instead of the reliance strictly on tortoise table....

I feel the same way and that's how I feed my tortoise. I actually don't worry too much about what she eats, so long as she's eating a broad diet. But I've only got the one, so I leave the advice to folks who have been owners for a long time, like yourself.