Why Spring mix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maggotlyfe

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
MA
I have been told that sulcatas should be eating different types of hays and grasses. But most of the posts reffer to feeding spring mix, why? Am I feeding the wrong things? I feed a grass mix and hay.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Most of the sulcatas on the forum are pretty small and babies have a hard time eating hay.

The best diet for a sulcata, or any tortoise, is to be allowed to graze. In the case of sulcata, its grazing on grasses and weeds. If that is not possible, then the number 2 choice is dried grasses and weeds, or hay. Hay is NOT a mandatory feed for any tortoises, it is just a substitute for their natural feed, grazing on grasses and weeds.

Because we have our little sulcatas indoors, grazing is not possible, so hay is the next choice, however hay is pretty hard for little sulcatas to eat and seems to be not palatable for them. So the #3 choice would be grocery store greens. Or you could walk around the neighborhood with scissors and a plastic bag and cut stuff for him to eat.

Quite a few of us advise Spring Mix because it is a nice mixture, a nice variety, of different leaves from several different plants.

Status
Not open for further replies.