Concerns about what to feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

EverettAshleyExotics

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I am currently feeding my sulcata a mix of different grasses and hay. I have been reading a lot of people on here are feeding their sullys Spring mix, is that ok for a main diet?

murdocjunior

10 Year Member!
South, Texas
Yeah i wouldnt spoil them on the spring mix either unless they arent eating grass and hay.

M

Maggie Cummings

If your baby is already eating grasses and hay I sure wouldn't add Spring Mix and have him changewhat he likes to eat. We feed Spring mix to animals who won't eat grass or don't have grass available to eat. If you could add some grape or mulberry leafs and some weeds to your diet that would be just excellent!

EverettAshleyExotics

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I was thinking about buying some of the grazing tortoise seed mix from Carloinas pet supply it has Crimson Clover, New Zealand Clover, Red Clover, Creeping Red Fescue, Turnip Greens,Dwarf Turf-Type Fescue,Tough Turf-Type Fescue, Kentucy Blue Grass, Orchard Grass, Wheat Grass, Oat Grass,Chia, Chicory and Timothy Grass in it. Would it be able to grow ok in the eco earth/sand mixture?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Some people have been able to get it to grow in that substrate in the enclosure, but most have better luck growing it in organic potting soil outside of the enclosure (so it will grow faster and not get mowed down by the tort as soon as it sprouts, as when they are sprouts the roots easily get pulled out so they don't grow back). Can you plant it in a future enclosure area for the tort? That way when he's big enough to go outside, it's already there. You can go out and pick some until them. If you do want to plant it in the enclosure, I suggest trays or even cat litter pans so you can rotate some out of the enclosure to grow up a bit as well as get real sun. You can sink the trays into a deep subtrate to have them level with the rest of an enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.