What else can I feed a baby sulcata?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildchild6771

5 Year Member
I was just given a 4 week old sulcata. Was told to feed it spring mix which it didn't seem to like just the red leaf lettuce. I tried little pieces of cactus but it wouldn't touch it. Is it too early to try to and feed it leaves and grasses? This is what I generally feed my older ones but I was strictly told spring mix not sure why.

Any advice is appreciated!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Try feeding anything that you feed your older ones. Check the tortoisetable.org for more edible ideas. The widest variety of food is best. Please also read Toms threads below in my post for raising a healthy, smooth sully.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
My hatchling lives to devour dandelion plants, cats ear plants and the weed, plantain. Sometimes rose of Sharon leaves and mallow. I rarely feed grasses at his young age, though now he is pushing a year old.

Only rarely does he get flowers as I feel those are the cake of the plant kingdom for a young tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All good suggestions above. I use hibiscus, grape and mulberry leaves too. I introduce grass to my hatchlings by finely chopping it up with scissors and mixing it in with the other greens. Endive and escarole are good foods too for some variety, but weeds and grass are best.

Status
Not open for further replies.