1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Why not to keep 2 tortoises together - a lesson learned the hard way

Discussion in 'Tortoise FAQs - New and need help?' started by biochemnerd808, Jun 8, 2014.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. slowtone

slowtone Member

Location (City and/or State):
    kent, uk
    Although I have two torts wondering in the same garden, besides the occasional scuffle it all seems quite peaceful.
    But would agree two or more together can be like cat and dog.
  2. TechnoCheese

TechnoCheese Well-Known Member

Lewisville, Texas
    The thing is, there shouldn’t be any scuffles at all. Tortoise bullying isn’t just physical. In fact, it’s usually just mental. “Cuddling”, sitting face to face, “following”, and just being together in general are all one tortoise trying to push, stress, and chase the other out of its territory, and even just seeing each other puts a great straining them. It only gets physical when they’ve had enough.

If by a scuffle you mean physical altercations, then they are in no way peaceful. I personally would separate them.
  3. slowtone

slowtone Member

kent, uk
    Well scuffle I mean the occasional bashing of shells, most of the time they don,t take much notice of each other.
    My garden is split into two so would be easy to separate them and watch their behaviour.
  4. Lyn W

Lyn W Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

UK
    Yes split asap, we have had one thread recently about one tortoise biting the head off another and if I remember rightly there had only been some occasional 'scuffles' there. Horrible for the dead tort and devastating for the member who came home and found it.
    ZEROPILOT, Sleppo and TechnoCheese like this.
  5. ZEROPILOT

ZEROPILOT Well-Known Member 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club Tortoise Club

South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
    I've been trying to get folks on the FLORIDA TORTOISE KEEPERS group on FACEBOOK to read this.
    There are some stubborn, ignorant, S.O.B.s on that forum.
    People feeding fruit to Sulcata and placing pairs together, mixing species, etc....
    It shouldn't be about what is convenient for YOU.
    Geez.
    O.k. I feel better now.
    Thanks.:)
    dorothybaez, Sleppo and TechnoCheese like this.
  6. Toddrickfl1

Toddrickfl1 Well-Known Member Tortoise Club

Ga
    With the Facebook groups it's pointless believe me lol. Your never going to convince them their tortoise isn't lonely.
    ZEROPILOT likes this.
  7. dorothybaez

dorothybaez New Member 5 Year Member

We have 2 sulcatas. One, Pinky, that my husband bought and one, Brain (we just *had* to name him that) that was a rescue from a woman who didnt want hers anymore. We've had them both for about 15 years and didn't know when we brought Brain home that they shouldn't be together.

They get along famously...by that I mean they pretty much totally ignore each other.

They're roughly the same age, but Brain's growth is stunted from his very poor previous diet. Maybe that's why there haven't been any problems? Hopefully things will stay this way.

First sign of trouble, though, they're getting separated, since Brain is so small and Pinky literally moved a piano out of his way a few days ago.