My lesson, learned the hard way: Do not keep 2 tortoises together.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
After the question has come up several times in the last week, I just finished making a blog post about why I don't advise keeping 2 tortoises, especially of the testudo/agrionemis species together.

Here is the link: http://tortaddiction.blogspot.com/2013/09/why-not-to-keep-2-tortoises-together.html

I hope this will prevent other tortoise keepers form having to learn this one the hard way, too! :) Thankfully, my story has a happy ending, but I personally know of several situations that did not.

kjr153

5 Year Member
I wish this was not the case. I always fear my Sulcata wants a "friend" :(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks for the link. Tom has been trying to get that into people's heads for as long as i have been on this forum and I'm sure even longer. Unfortunately, people will still insist their tort needs a friend or that it is possible to do. Not to say it isn't possible, but, the day you find out it isn't possible, could be a very sad day.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Since I myself thought my tortoises would be the exception (this happened several years ago, for the record), I can kind of understand where people are coming from. I hope that blog post will help just a little...

wellington said:
Thanks for the link. Tom has been trying to get that into people's heads for as long as i have been on this forum and I'm sure even longer. Unfortunately, people will still insist their tort needs a friend or that it is possible to do. Not to say it isn't possible, but, the day you find out it isn't possible, could be a very sad day.

Sulcatas can be some of the biggest bullies of all!

kjr153 said:
I wish this was not the case. I always fear my Sulcata wants a "friend" :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Very well written and informative piece Katie. It explains all the "typical" scenarios and related thought processes very well. I will refer people to it often.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Thank you, Tom and Lynne. :) Now I only wish I had learned that lesson the easy way... *sigh*
If it prevents even just 1 tortoise tragedy, I'll be a happy camper.

Tom said:
Very well written and informative piece Katie. It explains all the "typical" scenarios and related thought processes very well. I will refer people to it often.

meh1911

5 Year Member
Re: RE: My lesson, learned the hard way: Do not keep 2 tortoises together.

biochemnerd808 said:
Then one day, Roz matured. Roz discovered that he was a rapist little man-tortoise with needs and urges.

Hahahahahahaha that was really funny. Thank you for this. :D

meh1911 and Girdhari (A 3.5-inch long Indian Star)

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Thats my girl! We all learn from the experiences of others. I feel like I have been shouting this information from the rooftops for the last 20 years... maybe I just need a blog!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
How is your group now? All living together? Any issues? I think I read you have a 1:4, right?

I just separated my male from the 3 females today. Even though they were in a 20'x6' well planted outside pen, I recently noticed 2 of the girls were hiding a lot more and the 1 female that was always out received more of the males "attention".
I'm now curious to see how just the 3 girls will do.

Sent from my TFOapp

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Yes, I have 1:4, and it seems to work really well outside.

Outside in the 30'x5' enclosure (already wishing I made it bigger - will enlarge it!), they don't seem to have conflict. They each have their 'favorite' spots to bask and burrow. My male likes Timmy (female) best of all, so just to give her a break, I sometimes put him in a separate pen. The females don't seem to have any issues getting along outside.

Inside (cooler days) is a different story. I usually put 3 females into the big indoor table, the smallest female by herself (she gets bullied by the others when indoors) in a medium table, and the male by himself in the other medium table (4"x3"). If one of the females decides to be a stinker, she gets to hang out with the male for the day - he's not frisky this time of year, so nothing much happens. :)

Even when they are outside, I keep a keen eye on them though, to make sure they are all eating, one isn't hiding too much, etc. - Timmy is definitely the 'head female' (even though Lady is bigger). She patrols the whole pen, and must walk miles every day.

Team Gomberg said:
How is your group now? All living together? Any issues? I think I read you have a 1:4, right?

I just separated my male from the 3 females today. Even though they were in a 20'x6' well planted outside pen, I recently noticed 2 of the girls were hiding a lot more and the 1 female that was always out received more of the males "attention".
I'm now curious to see how just the 3 girls will do.

Sent from my TFOapp

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I love this sort of behavioral info and discussion. I'm very curious how all of mine are going to turn out and what sort of skirmishes I will witness.

I've noticed something with sulcatas and with some other reptiles too. When raised alone, they are often less tolerant of other animals later on. When raised in groups of other animals from an early age, they tend to tolerate conspecifics much better. Of course there are always exception in either direction. I'm very curious if being raised in groups will have this effect with MY Russian babies. Only time will tell. :)

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Long Island, New York
Hi I wanted to share an experience my friend had with his RT's. He didn't know much about tortoises and wanted one because they are cute. He had them in a 30 gallon tank and had two males which he would later discover is a huge mistake. He told me they were mating so I went to see what was going on he clearly had to make and one was dominating the other. The next week he realized one of the was missing an eye!
:( This is when he decided to give his tortoises away.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
That is so sad! :(

ben32hayt said:
Hi I wanted to share an experience my friend had with his RT's. He didn't know much about tortoises and wanted one because they are cute. He had them in a 30 gallon tank and had two males which he would later discover is a huge mistake. He told me they were mating so I went to see what was going on he clearly had to make and one was dominating the other. The next week he realized one of the was missing an eye!
:( This is when he decided to give his tortoises away.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Tom said:
I love this sort of behavioral info and discussion. I'm very curious how all of mine are going to turn out and what sort of skirmishes I will witness.

I've noticed something with sulcatas and with some other reptiles too. When raised alone, they are often less tolerant of other animals later on. When raised in groups of other animals from an early age, they tend to tolerate conspecifics much better. Of course there are always exception in either direction. I'm very curious if being raised in groups will have this effect with MY Russian babies. Only time will tell. :)

Well said

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I was one who had two sibling babies. As babies, they were inseparable. They soaked together, ate together, even slept together. I was convinced that my two were different and that they could be together possibly because they were siblings. Boy was I wrong. At about 5-6 months, there was definitely one who dominated the other. Even though there was no physical signs of bullying, I noticed that the one being bullied was just not thriving enough. I even witnessed when they were being fed, the one being bullied just stood there looking at the other eating. There was a long stare, then he took a nip at the other's face. Although he missed, I became alarmed. I also noticed very subtle changes in activities, eating, and overall demeanor. I decided to house them separately. It wasn't upsetting to me because I was just happy that they could feel safe. They both seemed to like being alone. About a year later, I discovered the two were males! So, I was so glad that I had separated them a long time before. I now have them in a huge backyard; however, the shyness and lethargic behavior continues for one of them. Even though they hardly cross paths, I still feel that the one is unhappy. I watch them both like a hawk. Neither one is incapable of defending themselves. In fact the one who seems unhappy is more dangerous than the other. He had shown that he could really hurt his bigger brother. I've discussed with my husband to split the yard altogether. My husband is against it, but we may just have to because the two sullies are not even 2 years old yet!