why does my tortoise try to bury itself

joan

Everytime i take him outside he heads for piles of leaves n tries to bury himself. Also in his house he scrats at the floor like hes tryin to dig. Im just new to this so would welcome any advice

Attachments

• IMG-20140429-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20140429-WA0005.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 40

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Sorry I can't open your thumbnail. What species and age?

It is fairly normal for some species to dig in both for security and for temperature regulation.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!

It is fairly normal for some species to dig in both for security and for temperature regulation.
Adult Russian, I believe!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your tortoise is afraid and is trying to hide from perceived threats. Once it gets used to that enclosure and learns that no bad is going to happen it will stop trying to hide all the time. They do 'dig in' at night, though, so it would give the tortoise peace of mind to have a substrate it can dig into at night.

joan

Hes a horesfield. Hes about three and ive only had him a few days. Should his lamp and light be on constantly. Ive been turning them off at night

joan

Your tortoise is afraid and is trying to hide from perceived threats. Once it gets used to that enclosure and learns that no bad is going to happen it will stop trying to hide all the time. They do 'dig in' at night, though, so it would give the tortoise peace of mind to have a substrate it can dig into at night.
What would you recommend. I only have layer of bark chippings currently

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

joan