Why does Leo bite on his clay cave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto
Any answers? He's almost 4 years old now... 5" male...

He nips on a clay cave pot I have placed in his enclosure.. it happens in the eve.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Do you have cuttlebone in with him? If not I would try that, he may be seeking more calcium.

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
i dont think its a calcium def.. my leopard tort, he has a cuttlebone and NEVER touches it he gets calcium+d3 3x a week. BUT when he had his clay food dish he would bite at it at night(and in the day) i would say as beak trim attempt now i have several rocks in various sizes that he uses now and his beak looks better than ever!! i would maybe put a few clean rocks in to give him more option and better tools lol :rolleyes::p mine loves his rocks :tort:

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Toronto
he does it frequently.. few times per week and only at night.. i give him calcium powder a couple of times per week.. i once put cuttlebone but he ignored it

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I don't know the answer to this, but when my leo was eating rocks someone suggested that he might be low in some trace minerals and suggested giving him Miner-Al (I think that is the right name) as a supplement.

Sunshine

5 Year Member
UK
Herbie does this all the time too! He also uses his cuttlebone maybe once a week too. He just loves clay! Herbie around 6 years old and still hasn't got a beak - is this normal? His skin is still smooth on his face....

Status
Not open for further replies.