why did this happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtletania

5 Year Member
For more than a year a beautiful Star Tortoise. This morning - ate breakfast with the others. This afternoon had a bath and was normal.
Went to say goodnight and one of my stars has passed. She wasn't sick, has been totally normal all the way. How could this happen?
Should I do anything with the other two? No bubbles, temps normal, I just don't know how to explain or what to do. Help!

turtletania

5 Year Member
I wish i could, but there are no places anywhere near here I could get that done.

I wish i could, but there are no places anywhere near here I could get that done.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Texas
No vets? Any vet should be able to take samples and send them off to a diagnostic lab for histopathology once the samples are in formalin. Wish I had some contacts for you Down Under.

Doc

turtletania

5 Year Member
I am not in Australia... I am on the island of Borneo, the nearest vet is 200kms away, and really only deals with cats. Last time I did go to the vets he said he had no idea what to do with tortoises.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
I thought you were in Aust or New Zealand, sorry. Without a necropsy being done, you really have no chance of finding out what is wrong, at least if it's due to a disease process. Any zoos? Medical professionals that might be willing to help? Make some calls, explain your plight, and you might get surprised. Good Luck and wish I was closer to lend a hand.

Doc

turtletania

5 Year Member
there are no zoos here. And as for taking to a local doctor, I think they would just laugh - or pretend they don't speak English.

Tomorrow I will ring the only vet here and at least ask.

I am just so shocked right now. I am watching the other two like crazy.

Should I wash/clean out and disinfect their terrarium?
We have had Saffy for 1 1/2 years. There are also 2 others. Star (almost the same time) and Tiny (only 6 months)... now I am worried about them.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
Did you quarantine Tiny for any length of time before introducing him/her to the other two? I would clean everything thoroughly, if it's an infectious disease it's probably too late, if it is a toxin of some kind, it would help. How about a detailed description of your setup? what are the food/water dishes made of, artificial plants?, substrates? get as detailed as possible, may set off some bells with our members.

turtletania

5 Year Member
I just got up and read your message Todd... thanks for helping with this. (And thanks to anyone else who jumps in with advice).

I have just shared the tragedy with my daughters - as I strongly believe in them learning about loss. Now I can only hope I can give them some sort of explanation.... (but know that may not happen).

Here is a pic of my setup:
2s1n3ip.jpg

Substrate is reptile carpet I purchased in Singapore at a reptile supplier. We washed it thoroughly before using it.

Plants are all artificial. Temps are 90 at the hide end, and 80 at the other.
Humidity is 80 to 90 as well.
Water bowl is a flower pot tray made of terracotta.
Feed "tray" is a ceramic tile turned upside down.

I feed them everyday with Romaine lettuce, hibiscus leaves and sitau, occasionally grated carrot and they get mashed pumpkin once every 2 weeks.
Dusting their food 3 times a week with vita-cal and vita-min

They get a "bath" everyday for about 15 to 20 minutes in separate containers (so we know they have "been to the toilet")

They have a UVB long light and a regular fluro for light.

As for quarantine - yes - any new tort I bring home is quarantined for at least 2 months. At that stage I only had Star so they were just in 2 separate terrariums for two+ months. When Tiny arrived I did the same before introducing her. But they have been all together for 6 months (since Tiny arrived) and there was not even one concern. They are in my living room where I can see them all the time.

I will check back later as I have to go to work.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
only one thing comes to mind is it possible it ate some artificial plant? do any of them look like bites were taken? are some missing pieces? and very sorry to hear about your loss.

turtletania

5 Year Member
Thanks for the help. I spent 2 1/2 hours last night checking every single leaf on the fake plants. No luck, not a nick out of any. Nothing missing.

I also rang the vet to ask (the day after we lost her) and he said they do not do that here. They said the only way to get that testing done was to go to a city which is 2 days drive away. Lots of reasons - but basically I just couldn't do it.

So Saffy had a beautiful burial (my 8 year old daughter held the ceremony) and I am now being nagged (unsuccessfully) to get another!

Thanks again for the help folks.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
turtletania said:
Thanks for the help. I spent 2 1/2 hours last night checking every single leaf on the fake plants. No luck, not a nick out of any. Nothing missing.

I also rang the vet to ask (the day after we lost her) and he said they do not do that here. They said the only way to get that testing done was to go to a city which is 2 days drive away. Lots of reasons - but basically I just couldn't do it.

So Saffy had a beautiful burial (my 8 year old daughter held the ceremony) and I am now being nagged (unsuccessfully) to get another!

Thanks again for the help folks.

That's a dman shame, it is such a small thing to perform a necropsy and collect samples for testing...I don't do this often, but please tell the vet you contacted they should seek another profession....perhaps in selling fresh produce roadside.
Was that wrong?

turtletania

5 Year Member
They said they only deal with cats and birds. I told them what you said and their response was "we do not do that". I asked if they do it for cats, and their response was no. They basically only deal with live animals issues i think. I have been to this vet to get the antibiotics but even then it was a fight to get it after they learned it wasn't for a cat.

There used to be another vet here years ago, but she moved to a another country out of lack of work. She told us when she left that it was a shame for people like me who did use and need her. So the only vet I have access to now is this idiot 200kms away.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
I'm very sorry that I couldn't (and they wouldn't) be more help in this situation. I'm curious what they would do if confronted with a contagious disease in an animal.....perhaps they would just turn a blind eye. Again, very sorry I couldn't help more.

Doc

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
exoticsdr said:
I'm very sorry that I couldn't (and they wouldn't) be more help in this situation. I'm curious what they would do if confronted with a contagious disease in an animal.....perhaps they would just turn a blind eye. Again, very sorry I couldn't help more.

Doc
they would probably cover their ears and go " LALALALALALALALA"

turtletania

5 Year Member
sorry Laura... I mean - I know the answer to what the only vet here would do if he was faced with an animal suffering a disease......and it is not good!!!

.......... I wish I knew what happened to Saffy, but unfortunately I will never know.

turtletania

5 Year Member
no..... what would I need to do for that? could that be the problem? could the others have it?

Status
Not open for further replies.