Whizzing Sound from Star Tortoise

seanang168

10 Year Member!
This year I noted that one of my male adult star tortoise has started to give whizzing sound during some breathing session. There are no bubbles and he seemed to be still eating normally and also still active.

I think it has been 6 months and there are no deteriorations and he is still normal but still whizzing.

Temperature in my region is fairly constant around 30 degrees with high humidity and he receives indirect Sunlight.

I wondered was it due to once I gave him a bath soak that lasted longer than usual.

Is there any cause for concerns? Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
For the more experienced with illnesses to help you, give a little more detail. Has he had a URI before and if so how long ago? Have you double checked your temps to be sure they have not fallen? You also may want to keep a close eye on him and possibly bump the temp up a few.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Is the noise crazy loud or is it just something that you have noticed? I mean, I can sometimes hear the clear breathing of the Redfoot torts here (likely because I am so OCD about noises and not that anything is wrong--do you do this too?) and it is nothing...

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Sometimes torts will wheeze and it sounds more like slight whistle, and it's nothing to worry about. At times they will do this and it will go away. Other times, when they wheeze it could be the start of a URI. Other symptoms to look out for are bubbles from the nose and/or mouth, draining of clear mucus from the nose, lack of appetite, and inactivity. If your tort has any of those symptoms, see a vet.

Dobby The Tortoise

5 Year Member
Texas
My sulcata makes the same type of light whistly sound but I'm pretty sure it's just his breathing.

seanang168

10 Year Member!
Thanks for the replies. I think he should be ok. Does not have the symptoms you mentioned.