Which tortoise?

Location (City and/or State)
United States
I used to own a redfoot tortoise for a couple of years or so. I really liked my redfoot to, i was raising one with my friend cause we were roomates and close friends when i lived with my grandparents. He liked mine so he bought a baby one to raise with me. But then we ended up giving them to our local pet store but it wasnt just any pet store it was somones own pet store. He had a lot of experience with various different pets and he had a big sulcata himself and he owned a couple of farms. So i wanted to know how fast certain tortoises grew. Because im thinking about getting another one but im living in an apartment so i need a couple of years or so to build up credit to get credit for a house. Maybe a sulcata

Melis

Maryland
Thank you i did some research on the sulcata i can manage this i would just need to upgrade to a 3 bedroom apartment for next year. Which i could definitely do.
Welcome! When do you plan on buying a house? A sulcata may not be the best choice for apartment living, unless you plan on getting a house with some land in the next couple of years.

United States
Welcome! When do you plan on buying a house? A sulcata may not be the best choice for apartment living, unless you plan on getting a house with some land in the next couple of years.
I do plan on getting a house in the next couple of years i just need to build my credit up.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where are you in the US? Different advice for different areas.

Growth rates vary tremendously and for a wide variety of reasons.

United States
Where are you in the US? Different advice for different areas.

Growth rates vary tremendously and for a wide variety of reasons.
Yes im from the US. Couldnt i get away with a 3 bedroom apartment if i let the tortoise have a room though at a year in cause i plan on building credit for a house which will take about 2-3 years or so i think. But i can also look into renting an apartment thats a house with a big yard to. I by no means intend to keep a large tortoise in the house. Thats why i was wondering if it would workout if its only temporary for so many years. Cause i would be buying mine as a baby.

Last edited:

Melis

Maryland
Yes im from the US. Couldnt i get away with a 3 bedroom apartment if i let the tortoise have a room though at a year in cause i plan on building credit for a house which will take about 2-3 years or so i think. But i can also look into renting an apartment thats a house with a big yard to.
I think Tom was asking where in the United States you are located. Temp, humidity etc could help determine the best species for you. Even having a room for a tort may not solve all the problems. You still would need a safe enclosure, and once it reaches a certain size, a sulcata should be outside. Also food sources may be hard to come by in an apartment, as I’m sure the grass is treated. Have you thought about a species that stays on the smaller side like a Russian?

United States
I think Tom was asking where in the United States you are located. Temp, humidity etc could help determine the best species for you. Even having a room for a tort may not solve all the problems. You still would need a safe enclosure, and once it reaches a certain size, a sulcata should be outside. Also food sources may be hard to come by in an apartment, as I’m sure the grass is treated. Have you thought about a species that stays on the smaller side like a Russian?
Oh i live in the upper new england area in RI.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Oh i live in the upper new england area in RI.
It would be challenging keeping a sulcata in a climate such as yours. Eventually they have to live outdoors full time. There are people who have sulcatas in areas where it snows, but it is difficult. You would have to provide a large heated shed for the parts of the year when it is too cold for your tortoise to come out. And you would have to purchase a lot of food or grow it in greenhouses.