30 years out of keeping reptiles and saved the store pet!

Chango

Location (City and/or State)
Fountiancity Indiana
My daughter moved off to college and got a job in a petstore where she lives. They had a beautiful female 18" sulcata dropped off at the door one morning. The manager decided to keep her as a store pet. Now a few months later corporate decided its a bad idea to have a "store pet". My wife and daughter knows how Im partial to spur thighed tortoise. So they got me the best Christmas present ever! Her name is "Oogy" short for Oogway. I know Oogway was a male. But Im just happy I got her. Man the reptile world has changed!! Man I feel old lol. Im from the days of mercury vapor lights and heat tape.... lol bear with me as I engage this new learning curve.

20201222_234306.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Heat tape and MVBs? That wasn't that long ago...

Here is the current and correct care info:

Danimal

5 Year Member
MS
Heat tape and MVBs? That wasn't that long ago...

Here is the current and correct care info:

............... i still use heat tape . . . . .

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
My daughter moved off to college and got a job in a petstore where she lives. They had a beautiful female 18" sulcata dropped off at the door one morning. The manager decided to keep her as a store pet. Now a few months later corporate decided its a bad idea to have a "store pet". My wife and daughter knows how Im partial to spur thighed tortoise. So they got me the best Christmas present ever! Her name is "Oogy" short for Oogway. I know Oogway was a male. But Im just happy I got her. Man the reptile world has changed!! Man I feel old lol. Im from the days of mercury vapor lights and heat tape.... lol bear with me as I engage this new learning curve.

View attachment 313678
Oh she's nice... welcome to TFO...merry Christmas...how are you gonna set her up?

Chango

Fountiancity Indiana
............... i still use heat tape . . . . .

My point wasn't that heat tape is out dated or some how lesser. My point was it was one of the only choices in heating at that time. I was around when the 1st heat rock was made available to the public. Before that you would have to visit the hardware store for every aspect of keeping reptiles. (Still do for large reptiles) The commercial supplies available was almost nothing. These days you can get almost anything. I find that the information and support available these days is mind blowing ? ? Its great to see!

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Welcome, i'm glad you joined! What kind of enclosure do you have set up for Oogy?

Chango

Fountiancity Indiana
We are under construction now will post pics later. For the Indiana winter months we are partitioning a section a room off. Temperature controlled and basking area etc...